Daft Punk streaming at itunes

langmick

Re: Daft Punk streaming at itunes

Postby langmick » Fri May 24, 2013 3:30 pm

JR is really a slamming drummer. Man. You have to listen cloeely to hear his fills. I bet it would be different with a killer sound system really loud.

He has sick time.
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Sat May 25, 2013 11:44 am

I know an album is not good when I don't want to listen to it on my bike commute to and from work. Been listening to it for 3 days now, pretty much nonstop but I don't know...

It kinda makes me laugh when people say that this music is good and that they're starting to like electronica without even listening to what got people talking about them in the first place. I remember listening to Homework so much that it received so much wear I had to buy a new cd.

It's not like Im against them experimenting, Im all in for that but if the music's not right... I have 3 favs there: Lose Yourself To Dance, Contact (which to me is just magic as it reminds me of the good ol' times of listening to all the demoscene music) and (duh!) Get Lucky. They got Rogers, Moroder, JR, Omar, Pharell, and so what if apart from those 3 the rest feel like mere 'fillers' (even those including the special guests).

Was going to say that I've listened to countless hours of sequenced music in my life but dont think that's relevant if what we're talking about is hardly that. I appreciate them trying but music has the final say and it doesn't speak to me.

Ok DP, you had 3 albums of playing around, now you have another 4 years to show what you really are known for.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Mon May 27, 2013 6:36 am

It kinda makes me laugh when people say that this music is good and that they're starting to like electronica without even listening to what got people talking about them in the first place. I remember listening to Homework so much that it received so much wear I had to buy a new cd.

It kinda makes you laugh? What?
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Mon May 27, 2013 7:08 am

Kurtis wrote:

It kinda makes you laugh? What?

Yes sir.
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Tue May 28, 2013 10:50 am

This stuff is addicting. JR & Omar lay it down in fine fashion. Great drum sounds. I'm really liking the melancholy of the steel guitar, like in 'Beyond', in settings other than Country these days.

Read an interview with Thomas Bangalter and he said that he had the idea for Omar to go off in 'Giorgio by Moroder'. He sang the part to Omar who played it ten times wilder, in a couple of takes. It's both JR & Omar on that track by the way.

Most of the interviews and reviews I've read emphasize the fact that both guys played real drums on this. Let's hope the swing back to real people playing quality music is more than just a passing phase.
baht habit

Postby baht habit » Tue May 28, 2013 2:58 pm

Clint Hopkins wrote:This stuff is addicting. JR & Omar lay it down in fine fashion. Great drum sounds. I'm really liking the melancholy of the steel guitar, like in 'Beyond', in settings other than Country these days.

I agree that Greg Leisz on pedal steel guitar was an inspired addition to the sessions. Leisz also makes a significant contribution to another song, titled Horizon, which is the bonus track on the Japanese edition. Horizon is a fine change of pace - down tempo and structured around a strumming guitar, somewhat Pink Floyd-ish in many aspects.
I find it especially encouraging that a younger generation of music listeners are being exposed to excellent musicianship provided by players such as Robinson and Hakim, bassists Nathan East and James Genus, guitarists Paul Jackson Jr and Nile Rodgers. I would think that for that fact alone, this is somewhat of an important release. I just hope that a majority of those listeners can recognize and appreciate what amazing and unique musical interplay can occur when the human element is not eclipsed by today's modern technology.
langmick

Postby langmick » Wed May 29, 2013 2:02 pm

Well, this is interesting.

drumdawg

Postby drumdawg » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:39 pm

drumming is great. feel, pocket, touch, ect... Music dives backwards and revisits a lot of great sounds/era's. BUT for F$#k sake, :| can we please limit the voice pitch auto-tune crap effect to only one per record. I try and try but i just can't stand it. I automatically skip to the next song. the vocals when singing (w/out the effect) sound great, just sing dude, sing. A lot of Hip Hop and "Cher" herself killed any coolness to it years ago ... Such a shame, maybe they're release the record w/out vox since the music/musicianship is so good.

Again, great playing though, Sammy J
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:49 pm

Omar's playing on Beyond is sweet.
drumdawg

Postby drumdawg » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:57 pm

Kurtis wrote:Omar's playing on Beyond is sweet.

Great energy on "Contact" too. :)

Return to “Drumming Chat”