Need traditional Left hand push/pull advice

YamahaPlayer

Re: Need traditional Left hand push/pull advice

Postby YamahaPlayer » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:13 am

I had to go try that lick, I like it a lot, but at that tempo I didn't need to use any special technique on my left hand (play matched). Maybe Trad kinda forces those techniques do to it's nature?
NatAguilar

Postby NatAguilar » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:53 am

Thanks everyone for your advice...I particularly liked the stanton moore beat.
I totally agree, technique is only a means to an end. I didn't start playing traditional until about 4 years ago (total playing 17) and I have always been floored by the left hands of Buddy, Vinnie, and Jojo, and who could for get Purdie's left ghost strokes.
I primarily would like to get better at the push/pull for ghost beats and economizing energy...so many times I have to switch to matched because the power gets sapped playing traditional... funny story, I actually started playing open-handed 'cause I didn't know any better, and then in 8th grade I was made fun by some other drummer who beat me to the jazz band drummer audition... so I switched to "regular" right hand lead. Awkward for 3 or for years, beats just didn't come naturally, so I would go back and forth..

Its funny how the mind works.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:29 pm

NatAguilar just remember, Traditional grip is out of the tradition. It's a more difficult grip to learn and master, in addition to work 2 separate things on both hands. It just takes a lot of time.

I play Trad sometimes, but it's more an emotional thing about the feel of the notes then a technical aspect. If it comes to just shredding, I'm matched all the way because that's what I grew up playing.

Most people don't see the physical affects of playing Trad - it's just flat out bad for your hands. Players who play Trad for years, who shred for years with it have cysts, calcium build ups, etc... If you ever get a chance to meet people like Vinnie, Weckle, Dontai take a look at their left hands. They are very obviously deformed from it.

All said and done, practice what motivates you. It's about fun and the joy of playing. Billy Cobham plays Traditional on both hands!! Have a ball!

*I don't want it to seem like a I'm knocking Trad. I think it's a very cool link to our roots as a player. But as clinician for both drumset and marching, particularly when I visit highschool lines - it's just harder, simple as that.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:46 pm

YamahaPlayer wrote:NMost people don't see the physical affects of playing Trad - it's just flat out bad for your hands. Players who play Trad for years, who shred for years with it have cysts, calcium build ups, etc... If you ever get a chance to meet people like Vinnie, Weckle, Dontai take a look at their left hands. They are very obviously deformed from it.

:|

I meet FAR MORE matched grip players who've played for years with bad, stiff technique who have hand and wrist problems than trad grip players. Technique is technique. There are no greater demands on the traditional side of things than the matched side of things. Fundamentally, with good technique, neither should cause long-term damage. Damage is only caused by bad/lazy technique.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:08 am

Gaddabout wrote:
YamahaPlayer wrote:NMost people don't see the physical affects of playing Trad - it's just flat out bad for your hands. Players who play Trad for years, who shred for years with it have cysts, calcium build ups, etc... If you ever get a chance to meet people like Vinnie, Weckle, Dontai take a look at their left hands. They are very obviously deformed from it.

:|

I meet FAR MORE matched grip players who've played for years with bad, stiff technique who have hand and wrist problems than trad grip players. Technique is technique. There are no greater demands on the traditional side of things than the matched side of things. Fundamentally, with good technique, neither should cause long-term damage. Damage is only caused by bad/lazy technique.

That is incorrect.
Don't confuse bad technique with good technique causing changes in the hand. Damage is caused from ANY repetitive use. The proof is in the fact you can tell particular peoples occupations by just looking at their hands.

It has to do with the movement of the stick through the web of the hand. That part of the hand was just not meant for that level of friction and impact. That's why your hands have pads on the bottoms and the tops are very thin.
The web of the hand is incredibly thin skin compared to the pads on the fingers and palms.

And speaking of, as I mentioned, if what you say is true then you are stating most of the monsters have "bad/lazy technique". If you ever meet guys like Vinnie, Weckl, Dontai, etc take a look at the web of their left hand. For that matter, Vinnie just had shoulder surgery want to know why? Because playing Trad on a drum set causes an odd drop in the left shoulder, it's very evident to see in any video of any of those guys, with the frequency they play it's not a surprise at all.

Same thing with putting cymbals up high, if you want to do that, awesome - just be aware you're greatly increasing stress to your RC and most likely will wear it out eventually.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just what is. Just like people who use their hands a lot for anything see dramatic changes in them. For instance, go check out a potters hands then go look at a surgeon's hands then compare those to a carpenters hands.
Ever see a NBA players hands? They look ALL kinds of crazy messed up.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:54 pm

YamahaPlayer wrote:For that matter, Vinnie just had shoulder surgery want to know why?

Please don't spread false rumors. I don't know where you heard that, but Vinnie did not have shoulder surgery.

Return to “Drumming Chat”