Vintage Drums 101

Julián Fernández

Vintage Drums 101

Postby Julián Fernández » Fri May 31, 2013 1:10 pm

Hey guys, how are you?

Since I´m shopping for a new kit, I´m spending some time lurking on Ebay... There seems to plenty of old/vintage kits for sale from the big brands : Ludwig, Gretsch, Slingerland, etc...
The thing is the prices are all over the place... From 800 to 2500 bucks and everywhere in between. The same with snares.

Is there any logic about it or it just speculation? What´s a nice vintage kit that doesn´t cost a fortune? Isn´t vintage gear a nice way to invest your money?

School me, please! :D

Thanks!

J.
robhaerr

Re: Vintage Drums 101

Postby robhaerr » Fri May 31, 2013 1:48 pm

Something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

Your mileage may vary!

Rob
bensdrums

Postby bensdrums » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:25 pm

I wouldn't get into buying vintage without knowing quite a bit about what you're buying. Spend a good amount of time educating yourself, there's a lot to learn and a lot of subtlety when it comes to reading badges (and if we get into Zildjian cymbal stamps... it takes almost a damn Master's Degree). There are a few different forums and vintage drum sites on the web where you can read up on this stuff... it'll give you an idea on what badges, woods, finishes, and/or hardware configurations come from what eras depending on which manufacturer you're looking at. Just google vintage drums and you'll be well on your way. But that's just the education part.

I've been buying vintage drums for about five years now, and I got into it through one of my drum teachers, who has been in it for years and years; and who taught me A LOT about what to look for over the years. Anything on ebay comes with some risk. While a particular drum may look great, have original wraps without fading, clean bearing edges, no ply-separation, and all original shell hardware in decent working order (all good ideas to check for by the way) it's impossible to know if it's in-round or not or if the bearing edges are in tune (the two biggest factors for me when buying vintage drums) unless you're actually there to measure it or throw a head on it. As a result, the most you have to go on is the reputation of the seller.

Anything Gretsch and older than the 70s is just bonkers price-wise on ebay, or anywhere else for that matter. Gretsch is something everybody is after in the vintage market. Gretsch round badge kits go for over $3K easy, sometimes even in shit condition. But you can still find some great Ludwig and Slingerland stuff if you educate yourself and know what to look for.

It's a gamble for sure, and I wouldn't plunk money down unless you've researched what you're buying quite a bit. On the other hand, if you do come across one of those vintage kit steals on ebay, and come across a 50s-60s-70s Slingerland, Ludwig, or Gretsch that was well made and cared for, that aged and dried out wood is the only way to get that real vintage sound, and once you have it, it's addictive. I have a set of 50s Slings in BDP that I got for $800, put about $250 into "resurrecting" and I'll never let them go. They're amazing, and only THEY sound like that.
bclarkio

Postby bclarkio » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:54 pm

Return to “Drumming Chat”