Clint Hopkins

Gary Chaffee is unretiring

Postby Clint Hopkins » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:16 am

You read right. Details here:

http://www.garychaffee.com/instruction.htm
Paul Marangoni

Re: Gary Chaffee is unretiring

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:50 am

Makes sense. I'm sure a good portion of his retirement investments have tanked like everyone else's. Plus he enjoys sharing his knowledge. I may take him up on it someday.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:21 am

This is great news.

Since I started drumming one of the things I've been sad about missing, most of the others sadly not being alive any more, is to be able to get some lessons from Gary just like my heroes have.

Guess my vacation next year will include a trip to the US featuring Chaffee lessons, a day at Drum Center and culinary adventures in Maine. I'll start saving money today.
Dave Capuzelo

Postby Dave Capuzelo » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:24 pm

The best thing I ever did (drumming wise) wa take lessons with Gary. Anyone, at any level, can learn lots from him!
TsonicTsunami

Postby TsonicTsunami » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:39 pm

I just booked 16 hours over 4 days for a drumming vacation with Mr. Chaffee. I am over the moon. Of course I have all his books including the new one " Odd Time Stickings. " I would like to pick the collective brain @ HOD and find out what you all think I should work on in preparation for my lessons which are in early November. He told me September was already booked so I think the word is spreading fast. I am pumped! :D
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:07 pm

TsonicTsunami wrote:I just booked 16 hours over 4 days for a drumming vacation with Mr. Chaffee. I am over the moon. Of course I have all his books including the new one " Odd Time Stickings. " I would like to pick the collective brain @ HOD and find out what you all think I should work on in preparation for my lessons which are in early November. He told me September was already booked so I think the word is spreading fast. I am pumped! :D

Don't work on anything. Just show up and listen.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TsonicTsunami

Postby TsonicTsunami » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:26 am

Don't work on anything. Just show up and listen.

Sage advice Jim, I plan on doing that to the best of my abilities.
Dave Capuzelo

Postby Dave Capuzelo » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:39 am

TsonicTsunami wrote:I just booked 16 hours over 4 days for a drumming vacation with Mr. Chaffee. I am over the moon. Of course I have all his books including the new one " Odd Time Stickings. " I would like to pick the collective brain @ HOD and find out what you all think I should work on in preparation for my lessons which are in early November. He told me September was already booked so I think the word is spreading fast. I am pumped! :D

Seriously, just do what he says...

The 16 hours with him will change the direction of your drumming.
David Francis

Postby David Francis » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:40 pm

I guess I'm not alone in this but I'd love to hear some details of this experience once you've done the lessons :)
cjbdrm

Postby cjbdrm » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:23 am

Get used to playing a tight kick drum head and bouncing the beater off the head instead of digging it in. That's how his kits are tuned.

Return to “Drumming Chat”