New Sting album coming out

Paul Marangoni

Re: New Sting album coming out

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:47 pm

amoergosum wrote:Mercury Falling was the last really good album by Sting in my opinion.

Yes, and even that one was borderline.
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:54 pm

Rodge wrote:I feel the same, and of course the band with Omar and the cats, NO WAY !!!

+1. Omar and those guys made 'Dream of the Blue Turtles' one of my favorites albums! 'Soul Cages', 'Nothing Like the Sun' and 'Ten Summoners' are classics. 'Mercury Falling' has its moments. 'Brand New Day' started the Kipper the puppet master producer stuff that was sort of bland. I never bought 'Sacred Love'.
bensdrums

Postby bensdrums » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:41 pm

I'd agree Mercury Falling was the last thing I really enjoyed. But I do like that Sting goes out of the box with his releases; it's not my cup of tea but it shows an artist that is constantly trying to evolve. Sure, it's unlikely to have mass appeal, but still, Sting has never tried to make music that necessarily conforms to any sort of preconceived notion. Even though I probably won't dig it, I respect the sack it takes.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:47 pm

I don't see it as "trying to evolve", I see it as "trying to make $$$ by following the trends". At this point there is very little incentive for an artist like Sting to release any new music for sale, since he can make much more money by touring and performing live, and selling more of his back catalog. Still, it would be nice to hear him record something new with his current touring lineup.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:10 pm

It would be nice if he got in a room with Stewart and Andy and tried to make new music.
drumdawg

Postby drumdawg » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:18 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:
amoergosum wrote:Mercury Falling was the last really good album by Sting in my opinion.

Yes, and even that one was borderline.

10 summoner's tales was the last great Sting record IMO. Omar and Manu were great on the previous records. Loved the playing and songs... Vinnie (was aloud) to take it to the next level on TST's , but I couldn't stand most everything after. Even TST's started heading into moments of flaccid pop/country plateau's.
Vinnie should go do a record with Peter Gabriel...
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:38 pm

drumdawg wrote:Vinnie should go do a record with Peter Gabriel...

Sam, I agree with you except I would rather not see Vinnie's name on his album if Peter ended up utilizing him like he did Steve Gadd on 'Signal to Noise' from 'Up'. Very cool tune but with NONE of Gadd's personality.
baht habit

Postby baht habit » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:01 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:I don't see it as "trying to evolve", I see it as "trying to make $$$ by following the trends".

Following trends? I suppose you haven't paid any attention to the recent projects released on the Deutsche Grammophon label: Songs From The Labyrinth (2006), Welcome To The Voice (2007), If On A Winter's Night (2009), Symphonicities (2010)...these albums could hardly be described as trendy. The Last Ship will follow this eclectic course that Sting has set for himself, while finally moving forward artistically by creating the material himself rather than utilizing the work of other composers.
He's made his cash with his unique style of pop/rock for the masses, and now he is doing exactly what he wants at this advanced age - with absolutely no commercial concerns nor any consideration of how much he alienates the most conservative and narrow minded listeners amongst his fan base.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:25 pm

baht habit wrote:
Paul Marangoni wrote:I don't see it as "trying to evolve", I see it as "trying to make $$$ by following the trends".

Following trends?

He's definitely had a few gems, but I was referring to Brand New Day, which I gave away after two listens.
drumdawg

Postby drumdawg » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:39 am

Clint Hopkins wrote:
drumdawg wrote:Vinnie should go do a record with Peter Gabriel...

Sam, I agree with you except I would rather not see Vinnie's name on his album if Peter ended up utilizing him like he did Steve Gadd on 'Signal to Noise' from 'Up'. Very cool tune but with NONE of Gadd's personality.

ya, you're right. seems as artist get older, they take less chances. New PG (which i did enjoy and listed to a lot) is not like the old manu, phil, copland material. Its funny, cuz as the careers pass along, the creative juices dry up. Instead of letting monster players help inspire or bring new life, a lot of times they just use the name for security and keep em on a leash.
peace, sjw

Return to “Drumming Chat”