Yogi Horton

Yussuf

Yogi Horton

Postby Yussuf » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:49 am

Funky as hell and inspirational talk. I love the totally uneconomical body movements during the second clip. Every note is meaningful.

Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfx2GqvH ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaDru3zsm_0
YamahaPlayer

Re: Yogi Horton

Postby YamahaPlayer » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:53 am

Yogi's awesome, under rated player for sure. The vid with him talking is kinda funny to watch, though what he says is good stuff. Guy's got a great personality.
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:38 am

We've talked about him here before. He amazed me with his creative funkiness when I heard him (about 30 years ago!) on the David Byrne album The Catherine Wheel. A great player - he deserves more attention.
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:59 am

There is a SMOKIN DVD of Yogi playing live with Bob James called "Live From The Queen Mary," and his groove, and a brief solo is off the hook!!! He is on a bunch of the Ashford and Simpson (and Luther Vandross I think?) stuff too. Marcus Miller LOVED his playing. Yogi always sort of reminded me a "reckless Tony Thompson." I believe there are also some similarities to Jordan, and old Gadd as well. It's that old school NYC street thing, it can't be written or described, it MUST be heard and felt.

And just to clarify a previous post, Yogi WAS bad, unfortunately he has been gone for some time now. I just didn't want any of the young 'uns to get confused.

Mark
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
Rafael Dolinski

Postby Rafael Dolinski » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:57 pm

nomsgmusic wrote:There is a SMOKIN DVD of Yogi playing live with Bob James called "Live From The Queen Mary," and his groove, and a brief solo is off the hook!!! He is on a bunch of the Ashford and Simpson (and Luther Vandross I think?) stuff too. Marcus Miller LOVED his playing. Yogi always sort of reminded me a "reckless Tony Thompson." I believe there are also some similarities to Jordan, and old Gadd as well. It's that old school NYC street thing, it can't be written or described, it MUST be heard and felt.

And just to clarify a previous post, Yogi WAS bad, unfortunately he has been gone for some time now. I just didn't want any of the young 'uns to get confused.

Mark

Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:33 am

nomsgmusic wrote: Yogi always sort of reminded me a "reckless Tony Thompson."

That's a great description!

Tragic that we lost him so young.
matthughen

Postby matthughen » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:44 am

Sooooo deep. Been watching this everyday since this post. I remember seeing this VHS video in a music store in the early 90s, picking it up wondering who the guy was. Sure wish I had ponied up the $$$ and bought it. Thanks for the reminder.
Ghostnoter

Postby Ghostnoter » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:05 pm

matthughen wrote:

Sooooo deep. Been watching this everyday since this post. I remember seeing this VHS video in a music store in the early 90s, picking it up wondering who the guy was. Sure wish I had ponied up the $$$ and bought it. Thanks for the reminder.

I may have that vhs for sale!? $5 bucks + shipping/box. Hit me up...I have quite a few more vhs', I am trying to move...I need to list them.

G

Return to “Drumming Chat”