New Product: Sabian Omni

Drumolator

Re: New Product: Sabian Omni

Postby Drumolator » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:04 pm

After listening to all the videos, I have decided to buy the AAX OMNI 18". If I like it as much as I expect to, I will trade in most of my other cymbals (Sabian AA and AAX) to buy the 22". I am quite impressed with these new cymbals. Peace and goodwill.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:19 pm

Omni cymbal please. what this cymbal needs is chad smith's take on it. have him make a video of this cymbal. maybe it just might sell. nothing like having a cymbal being struck next to your ear while walking along venice beach.
Drumolator

Postby Drumolator » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:08 am

What's in a name anyway? I couldn't care less what they are called, or the implications of the name. I only care what they sound like, and on the website I heard the cymbal I have been dreaming about. I will have to hear the 18" in person, but I am probably going to buy one.

Some of you are way too cynical. :D

Peace and goodwill.
Miki C.

Postby Miki C. » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:29 pm

jojo's playing evans drumheads now yeah :D
Miki C.

Postby Miki C. » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:50 pm

nice cymbal no doubt but the whole it not a crash or a ride thing i dont understand with any good ride cymbal you should be able to both crash and ride it
Miki C.

Postby Miki C. » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:53 pm

holy crap this video right here is just ridiculous lol :D

http://vimeo.com/17244103

im here at starbucks watching this video just laughing the whole way through people must think im crazy
Robert Bluman

Postby Robert Bluman » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:31 pm

Yamaha player, that's simply not true. The entire dual lathed concept was brought to us by Sabian. It didn't exist before Sabian brought it to manufacturing. Sabian is by far the world's most innovative cymbal maker. Think about the Jack Dejohnette line, there's nothing like it. The O-zone line? Nothing like it aside from the Zildjian copy cat. HH Rocktagon used in jazz by Clarence Penn and Tain Watts. Nothing like it on the market. I can go on and on.

When K manufacturing was discontinued in Turkey, the Zildjians were denied the ability to open another factory in the states by the government, so they went to Canada. Robert and Armand Zildjian split because Armand wanted to use cheaper metals in the pro-lines sold in music stores, and sell them for the same price. Robert didn't like this and said that if Avedis was still alive he would never allow it. They fought and eventually the share holders voted to make more money, so they voted Robert out. Robert agreed to allow Armand's take over of Zildjian as long as he could have the factory in New Brunswick Canada. Armand wanted all the cymbal makers from the K factory in Canada to move to Quincy Mass. They refused, and stayed in Canada to eventually make cymbals for Robert who started Sabian named after Sally, Andy and Billy. His kids. He added the Armenian suffix "ian". The Artisan cymbals and all Sabian HH's ARE K's. They are made exactly the same way by the same cymbal makers who made K's. The people working Zildjian in Mass only knew how to make the A line. The K's made by Zildjian today are not made the same way. This is why I strongly believe Zildjian is making a ton of money off of a legacy that they don't stand by anymore, where as Sabian is actually making cymbals with that legacy in mind. The funny thing is that I don't even play Sabians. I have a few, but I play mostly K's from Turkey before the factory moved to Meductic. I must say, that if I could endorse a cymbal company, it would be Sabian, they sound most like my old K's.
Robert Bluman

Postby Robert Bluman » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:44 pm

I have to add, wow Jojo is sick at that drum and bass. It makes sense that he's mastered every hand technique. In order to play that style the way he does you need hands that can do anything. I love his drumming. If he was more into studio drumming and/or jazz I believe he would be more of a household name. We don't hear about him enough. For some reason the studio guys and jazz/fusion guys are more advertised. He's a true drummer's drummer and artist.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:35 pm

Robert Bluman wrote:...Robert who started Sabian named after Sally, Andy and Billy. His kids. He added the Armenian suffix "ian".

Actually, he didn't add the suffix "ian". He merely took the first two letters of each kid's name: SAlly, BIlly, ANdy, and came up with SABIAN.

I use Sabian cymbals, but I'm going to pick up a bunch of Istanbul Agop and Mehmet when I can scrape enough dough together. To my ears, those are the shit.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:42 pm

Robert Bluman wrote:Yamaha player, that's simply not true. The entire dual lathed concept was brought to us by Sabian.

Wow you're so wrong it isn't funny.

If you think Sabian is innovating anything you know nothing about cymbal making. There are cymbal smiths that BLOW them away and have been doing so long before them.

Sabian invented dual lathing.. haha what a joke. Go on CymbalHolics and try and pedal that kind of nonsense.

I'm not wrong by any means. Sabian repeatedly copies Zildjian and other cymbal companies. Just look at the Vault "V", it's nearly exact to the A Custom "A" and came LONG after A Customs.

They invented putting holes in cymbals? You gotta be kidding if you believe what you say. Heck I was putting holes in my cymbals long before the "ozone" came out, and guess what? I didn't invent that idea either.

Return to “Drumming Chat”