Vinnie's 'I'm tweaked' cover - J.Lundberg Band

Rodge

Re: Vinnie's 'I'm tweaked' cover - J.Lundberg Band

Postby Rodge » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:45 am

It's just weird, all those cover played notes for notes, it's really weird, for me anyway, but I guess it goes with the youth...
They should own the form, melody, groove and then play like themselves, not like some robot programmed on mode "terrible Vinnie"...

Just my 0,002 cents like they say... ;-)
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Jeremy Smirnoff

Postby Jeremy Smirnoff » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:25 pm

Well. Kudos for the effort. But that was a really awkward watch. :) Not saying I can do better, however... The feel was all wrong. Can't really pinpoint why. Maybe it was the phrasing, but the whole band didn't seem "tight" enough.
Jeremy Smirnoff
drums, percussion
http://www.facebook.com/jeremy.smirnoff
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:25 pm

I thought recitals and transcriptions where two totally different things.
willyz

Postby willyz » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:39 am

DeeP_FRieD wrote:I thought recitals and transcriptions where two totally different things.

Agreed.

And I also agree with Rodge- granted, playing Vinnie's stuff has it's own degree of difficulty, but learning the song and owning it would be much more impressive and would lead to actual musical choices.

It's hard to critique this sort of thing because unless I spent hours transcribing the piece, working out the licks, etc, I'd never play this tune. That being said, if I was doing a college recital as a jazz drumset major, I'd be playing Lifetime tunes and trying to do my own thing with it...
Got Blushda?
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:04 pm

I stayed out of this one because Jonathan is a good friend. But I figure I'll post some clips of him playing the other day, here in Copenhagen.

I really like that he's going out of his comfort zone, even though it might include a few misses here and there. I've known him for more than 10 years
and his development has been steady and impressive. Hope you'll enjoy these clips.

willyz

Postby willyz » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:31 am

There we go! I dug those clips much more than what was at the top of the thread. He's definitely looser, making a couple mistakes and is just going for stuff a bit more- still wears the Vinnie/Virgil influence on his sleeve, but hey, you won't see me attempting that sort of stuff anytime soon!

Bassist from Dirty Loops is obviously the highlight in the group though...
Got Blushda?

Return to “Drumming Chat”