One Way Out- Allman Brothers

Christopher

Re: One Way Out- Allman Brothers

Postby Christopher » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:44 pm

I really liked that, Rhythmatist. :)

The left hand pattern you're playing is killer. And the swing you're applying gives it such a cool, swampy NO thing. Great feel.

Bravo! :)
Rhythmatist

Postby Rhythmatist » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:27 pm

Christopher...thanks for the kind words.

I really have to stress Willy, this is the kind of stuff that requires internalized time. I would never think of breaking out a click for this kind of thing. You want a little ebb and flow. It would be like playing Jazz with a click...just not right. IMO the only time a live click is appropriate is when playing with tracks/sequences or in certain situations where without it the band has the potential to completely fall apart. Otherwise, internalized time is always best for live work. No one is going to get injured or killed if the time drifts a couple clicks here or there. It's part of that human factor that makes music feel good. Remember, when these guys were in their heyday they were hammered when they played live ;) . Also, part of doing this kind of style is thinking light...Butch and Jaimo aren't slamming 2&4. Oh, it's predominant but not an in your face thing like a rock or R&B groove might be.
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:21 pm

Play it however you feel it. It's a cover tune, and most people in the crowd will not give a rats ass about the drum beat. :lol:
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
willyz

Postby willyz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:35 am

You'd never reference a click on a tune because you were worried about tempo issues?

Fortunately it turns out the band plays this song at a fair tempo and hanging on to the groove hasn't been a problem.
Got Blushda?
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:16 am

willyz wrote:You'd never reference a click on a tune because you were worried about tempo issues?

Fortunately it turns out the band plays this song at a fair tempo and hanging on to the groove hasn't been a problem.

If you personally have tempo issues, then sure, use a click.

As far as playing an accurate part, if your band's name is on the tickets that someone bought, then yes, get it as close as possible. But if you are playing in a bar, all the people there are drinking, looking for sex, or watching the game, and could really care less about a drum beat. :lol:
willyz

Postby willyz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:30 am

I was just originally worried about maintaining the tempo, as the band is used to rushing this tune (with no restraint from their former drummer). But, as I said, it was a total non-issue and as per usual, I was completely over thinking the whole thing.

Sometimes I just need to tell myself "shut the fuck up and play the drums" lol
Got Blushda?
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:57 am

willyz wrote:I was just originally worried about maintaining the tempo, as the band is used to rushing this tune (with no restraint from their former drummer). But, as I said, it was a total non-issue and as per usual, I was completely over thinking the whole thing.

I hear ya. Thinking too much messes my drumming.
Rhythmatist

Postby Rhythmatist » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:17 pm

Jim Richman wrote:
willyz wrote:I was just originally worried about maintaining the tempo, as the band is used to rushing this tune (with no restraint from their former drummer). But, as I said, it was a total non-issue and as per usual, I was completely over thinking the whole thing.

I hear ya. Thinking too much messes my drumming.

+1!! We tend to over analyze. I saw the Brothers in '74...they were toast! And played great! Not that I advocate playing in an altered state, gave that up a very long time ago. My point, feel is king no matter what and keeping your ears open to what's going on around you. That's what I took from the ABB and it holds true for playing in any situation.

Return to “Drumming Chat”