my new band recording

percusski

my new band recording

Postby percusski » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:36 am

Hi guys
if anyone is interested in checking it out there are 4 full tracks on here from my band's new release, I mixed it as well (first time mixing anything serious so be gentle lol)
Kind of jazz fusion with often free improvisation sections.

https://soundcloud.com/x-rayquartet
bstocky

Re: my new band recording

Postby bstocky » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:38 am

I don't know why 45 guys click on a link and then have nothing to say. The OP is looking for some kind of feedback. Even if you think it's terrible that's better than saying nothing.

It's not terrible btw it's really good. Nice playing and mix all around.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:39 pm

Sounds good Percusski.... Mixes sound good as well. Solid sounds....If you had the mixes mastered to be wider they would be great..

Nice playing as well .. all styles represented.
percusski

Postby percusski » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:36 am

Thanks for taking the time to check it out guys, I know there's a lot to listen to there and a fair bit of it is not easy listening which would probably explain the lack of response, a short easily digestible youtube video normally guarantees more response so my fault marketing wise :lol:
We just didn't have the budget for mastering unfortunately, the whole thing has cost a little over £300 so cheaper than an album in the 1970s :D
For much of it I was using Michael Brecker's Pilgrimage as a reference.
It's simply so frustrating to invest money into projects that potentially will make no return, we're looking at this recording as a way of getting gigs I guess.
moose

Postby moose » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:59 am

Nice stuff.

percusski wrote:We just didn't have the budget for mastering unfortunately...

I think Chris might mean panning the instruments around the stereo image a little more. It needs to be an open sound but it's quite "tight" if you see what I mean.
percusski

Postby percusski » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:23 am

Ah yes, well the overheads are quite wide, using logic, somewhere between 40-50 (+ and -) toms and hats 30ish...the keyboard is panned anyway so didn't want to tamper too much with that and bass pretty much down the middle, sax slightly off to the left or right so nothing is in the way of anything else. What were you thinking of in terms of making wider? All a learning experience for me...
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:54 am

I listened to the whole thing. I enjoyed all of it. I think everyone involved did a great job.
Willie Bruno

Postby Willie Bruno » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:18 pm

Really nice playing all around! I love the drum sounds, and the compositions are amazing! Love this kind of stuff, good going!!
percusski

Postby percusski » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:49 pm

thanks for the great feedback guys!!
Rhythmatist

Postby Rhythmatist » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:04 pm

It's reminiscent of some old recordings I have...one in particular that I unfortunately at the moment don't recall the leader but I remember Allan Dawson was the drummer. Nice stuff altogether...you have a very cohesive unit; evident that you play a lot together.

Return to “Drumming Chat”