A new gig. Ambivalence...

Jeremy Smirnoff

A new gig. Ambivalence...

Postby Jeremy Smirnoff » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:22 pm

So, I was offered a new gig with an electronica/hip-hop artist offering a studio session and possibly a small tour. I come from a prog/fusion background and am not sure whether I should take it. Granted, I don't normally do that style aside from my time in industrial bands which required me to play with a click.. I initially told them that it's not what I do, but they are in a bind for a person that can record in a short time etc. I felt that my obligation was to let them know that it's not my style and I can refer them to someone I know that is proficient in that because it's not my thing and if they don't hear from anyone then I can do it. Thing is... I can pull it off. I can use the $. But I don't do that style. I believe my referral to someone else will be more productive. Should I accept and wing it or decline altogether?
Jeremy Smirnoff
drums, percussion
http://www.facebook.com/jeremy.smirnoff
Julián Fernández

Re: A new gig. Ambivalence...

Postby Julián Fernández » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:55 pm

Jeremy Smirnoff wrote:I can pull it off.

Go for it. Sometimes a fresh approach is the best one. Do some research and go for it... Don´t second guess yourself too much. Enjoy it and keep us posted! ;)
langmick

Postby langmick » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:38 am

If you can play it you should.
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:16 pm

Don't do it. Listen to your gut. The best way is either get someone else, or price your way out of it. And if they agree to your inflated price, get paid in full before you load your crap to the session.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tom Reschke

Postby Tom Reschke » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:59 am

Sounds like you don't like playing that style. But you CAN play that style and nail the gig and make money doing so? Play drums and make money. Isn't that what we would all like to be doing? Take the gig, meet new people (engineers and whatnot) and, oh yeah, get payed to play drums! Live the dream!
Moderation's all well and good, just don't overdo it.
drumdawg

Postby drumdawg » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:51 am

If you can't stand the music, I'd walk away. If it's just something you haven't done before, maybe try it. I was in a band and they wanted to do some electronica type of music. I had no clue about it, but had some of the chops to pull it off. It ended up opening and pushing my playing in all kinds of new directions. I'm a better musician for it... as for the pay thing, def try and get some written contract or $ up front for you time. But if your heart isn't in it, I wouldn't commit long term. It always depends on where your head is at and where you are in your career. Maybe find another drummer/friend who is in to that thing and pay it forward...
Peace, Sammy J
Riddim

Postby Riddim » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:48 pm

It's great to be versatile, but if you're not feeling it, find a suitable sub or 3 and pass. Otherwise it's like sleeping with someone you'd rather not be with. Not much joy in that for anyone.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:21 pm

I agree. Being versatile is huge in my book. I have put myself in so many different situations. Played many gigs in all the styles. Play this gig! It will be a useful learning experience and also season up your chops for future ventures.
thewikiman

Postby thewikiman » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:48 pm

It depends if you have time to immserse yourself in the music. This type of thing is really not about chops, I've seen drummers with amazing chops who can't play electronicy stuff because they don't feel it. You have to get into the mindset of the genre and understand it.
____
Ned
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:15 am

I would do it.
Maybe it´s not your ultimate style but it has interesting things:
- groove oriented
- playing with sequences (I think)
- recording session
- small tour

You will finish this work beeing a better musician/drummer than you were before.

It the people of that band are cool people, I would do it...

And remember than music life of many drummers we admire here is full of this fact: ONE THING LEADES TO ANOTHER.

Return to “Drumming Chat”