Blew my back out

chris perra

Blew my back out

Postby chris perra » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:32 pm

Last Sunday I blew my back out Holy crap!!!! spent an hour on the kitchen floor.. Herniated disk..

Anybody else have back issues?.. Any suggestions on treatment/prevention
sejuba

Re: Blew my back out

Postby sejuba » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:33 pm

yes. you should start deadlifting HEAVY ! This is not a joke... read about it... it builds your lower back like nothing else
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:55 pm

Sorry to hear that Chris.. I've got back problems too.. Was on my back all weekend due to an old lower back injury that just got revived.. I practiced heavy Thursday evening then bingo.. I am afraid my posture is not healthy + the aging and lack of exercise factors don't help. I am thinking of sitting higher and buying a stool with a back-rest.

But an herniated disk is very serious and exercise won't help resolve it I don't think... Is this a new injury?
sejuba

Postby sejuba » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:00 pm

yes. you should start deadlifting HEAVY ! This is not a joke... read about it... it builds your lower back like nothing else
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:10 pm

I've blown my back out a million times. The back is the second biggest muscle group in your body. Legs and ass is number one. If it doesn't get better in a few days ease up and give it a week. If its not better in a week or so you might want an x ray of sorts.

Dead lifts?! That's funny as shit! If you want a stronger core and back that's a great way to go if your back is healthy. Bent over rows with heavy weight also builds a strong back. I lifted weights for a good 15 years on and off and learned lots.

Hope your back gets better. Sometimes when you blow out your back the first 24 hours sucks. Usually things get better after that.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:15 pm

If it's actually herniated, you're going to have major issues, especially if scar tissue touches any nerves. If it's only a bulging disc, you should be able to get it back in place. The only thing that worked for me was THREE months of DAILY traction. Basically, the "rack"; Straps around your hips, and around your head/neck area, which gradually pull apart repeatedly at a regular interval for about 30 minutes.

Also look into the McKenzie Method for stretches and exercises. Depending on where the disc is bulging, you may need to do flexion or extension, but not both.

One last thing worth trying is an inversion table.

Once your back is pain free, you'll have to get into a regular routine of stretching and strengthening, or you're bound to have a repeat incident.

Good luck!
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:07 am

beat hit wrote: I am thinking of buying a stool with a back-rest.

Ya think? :| There no thinking involved. It's called getting one immediately.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:37 am

Get a foam roller, and lacrosse ball. Use them for deep massage. The stiffness is part of the problem, not having the ability in the muscles to move easily.

I got one and my back has never felt better, no more lower back problems, all those scapula knots, totally gone.

In fact, I had some very bad knee pain, one session with a trainer and she had me completely pain free. I was told by my Doc that I could get those fucking shots.

And all it was was a tight adductor muscle. I could feel it releasing.

Get one asap.
cjbdrm

Postby cjbdrm » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:17 am

How do you blow your back out?

Did the x-ray show a herniated disk?

I do have a suggestion and it's to read any of Dr. John Sarno's fine books.

YMMV
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:38 am

I was leaning forward putting my laptop on my footstool.. something clicked in my back.. No big deal i thought..I hurt my back all the time...
Next morning I was in alot of pain.. tried to get on my inversion table.. and I think I really messed it up bending over to strap my feet in... as within an hour I was immobilized on the floor and couldn't stand up..

My back is much better now.. went to the Chiropractor... and a walk in clinic... between the two in my opinion.. forget traditional medicine regarding backs.. they are useless.. only prescribing anti inflammatories and pain killers..

The Chiro after adjusting me reduced the pain by 30% right away and stopped the muscle spasms..

My Chrio recommended the Mackenzie method.. I don't know too much about it but doing the Cobra stretch is really helping as the disk was pushing out squishy back stuff in the other direction from all the years of curving my back in the other direction...

Thanks for the advice everyone.. I'll look into the suggestions.. Don't think I'll be doing deadlifts any time soon though haha

Return to “Drumming Chat”