Why music?

percusski

Why music?

Postby percusski » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:59 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... jLLE#t=324

don't know if anyone else has a problem with what this guy represents, but when I look at a Tony Williams video and it only has 2000 views I know there is something really wrong.
Paul Marangoni

Re: Why music?

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:18 pm

He who shouts the loudest, and spends the most time on networking and marketing, will reach the most people. Can it last? Probably not without substance at its core, but another person will just fill the void.

The Internet has only increased this concept exponentially by removing the gate keepers. With no filters, we are forced to do our own filtering. This extra effort causes fatigue and we end up retiring to our old favorites, which is why there is so much nostalgia.
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:28 pm

I think it is great that he realized the need for original music. More power to him. Why sell a CD for 10 bux when you can have a box set for 50.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:30 pm

Honestly, I'm not sure that this guy is responsible for anything original. All I've seen him do is play covers.

As for the 2k views for Tony, I don't think there's any point arguing about that. It's a natural process that some things appeal to the mainstream and some do not. I strongly believe that even if we had Tony Williams's face on billboards around every corner promoting his music, I doubt this would make teenagers buy his music. I think it's better the way it is. As far as I'm concerned the mainstream/everything else dichotomy has always existed. It's not about advertising, it's just the way we're hard-wired.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:56 pm

electrizer wrote:As far as I'm concerned the mainstream/everything else dichotomy has always existed. It's not about advertising, it's just the way we're hard-wired.

Do you think this Cobus character could have even gotten out of the gate if this was 1992? Or even 2000 for that matter? Not a chance. Thanks Google. Thanks YouTube.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:11 pm

WTF. Is this a joke?
percusski

Postby percusski » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:54 am

He's got his own system too, calls it The Cobus System, it's where you take no formal lessons (maybe because that destroys creativity?) and just learn by ear, thank god he invented that system.
This links into a bigger problem which is perpetuated by modern media, which is glorifying the mediocre. I remember when I first started playing, yes there were the drummers in bands I liked, however I was also well aware from day one who the big boys were, whether I had any idea about what they were doing or not, I just knew they were the guys and there was a reason to seek them out.
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:50 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:
electrizer wrote:As far as I'm concerned the mainstream/everything else dichotomy has always existed. It's not about advertising, it's just the way we're hard-wired.

Do you think this Cobus character could have even gotten out of the gate if this was 1992? Or even 2000 for that matter? Not a chance. Thanks Google. Thanks YouTube.

Frankly? I dont give a shit. Here we are complaining about something that's happened naturally, without our interference. The technological evolution is happening and you can't do squat about it. Whether it's radio, tv, or web, mediocrity will always have an upper hand. That's because it makes money, and it doesn't require any thought.

With all due respect Paul, but does it hurt that people turn their attention to Cobus rather than to your newly released cd? There's YT, there's twitter, promote it! You guys are complaining about mediocrity but have you released reams of clips with your music to act against it? There you go.

Want to change the world, then start from yourself. Otherwise you're just as responsible.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:26 am

electrizer wrote:Want to change the world, then start from yourself. Otherwise you're just as responsible.

By becoming a marketer? By shouting louder? By giving it all away in order to stroke my own ego?

No thanks.

And we can do a LOT about what you call a "technological revolution". We just have to care enough to do the right things and demand that our elected government enforce the laws that are already in place (for a start) and then revise them to reflect the changes in technology.

electrizer wrote:You guys are complaining about mediocrity

No, I was just pointing out that Google has given a voice to any clown, talented or not. My complaint is with these big corporations getting away with stealing creative content, making a shit load of money off of it, not compensating the people responsible for the creativity in the first place, and a government that lets it all happen thanks to being bought by these corporations.
willyz

Postby willyz » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:35 am

Granted, we can bash this kid all we want, but at the end of the day he was in the right place at the right time and happened to catch a break (Drum Channel/DW/YouTube etc). We can't fault him for that. However, his approach, technique, choices, etc- THAT'S all in the public eye to be scrutinized. Yes, mediocrity and a lack of skill/creativity somehow appeals more to the (younger) masses, but the only way we can change that is from the inside out- buy physical records, pay for live shows, don't take gigs for free, make good honest music, and don't add some prolific nonsense to ones a ability to play covers and put them on YouTube.

In regards to Paul's record- I doubt he made it to sell millions of records (though that would be great- it's a solid record), and I doubt he's angry or jealous specifically towards some schmuck kid that got a break. That being said, I can't speak for Paul...
Got Blushda?

Return to “Drumming Chat”