Buying a used Mac

Jim Richman

Re: Buying a used Mac

Postby Jim Richman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:47 pm

Hey, now that OSX 10.9 Maverick is free, see if that laptop will do it.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sejuba

Postby sejuba » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:27 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:How easy are those Macs to open up and swap out the drive? Would he have to go to a Mac Store to get it done? Solid state hard-drives are great, but pretty expensive right now. I think they only go as big as 512 right now Gigabyte too.

Its fairly easy from what I saw, especially if you´re not replace the optical drive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShUAGwtVMHg
sejuba

Postby sejuba » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:30 pm

I think my previous post got deleted by accident. Anyway, here´s what to look for when buying used: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57 ... d-macbook/
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:02 pm

Sejuba, Thanks for that link, that's EXACTLY what I was looking for. I'm going to run all of those "tests" with the owner, I am taking it for a test spin this week, and besides everything that is mentioned in the article, is there anything else to look out for.

Only "physical" issue is a caps lock key that their cat pulled off, (still works) seems that it should pop back on, but won't, any advice? All hinges, allignment, and screws are unmarred. No bad pixels, all the ports work fine. No noise from the optical drive.

Paul, It looks like the HD-SSD swap would be an easy swap for someone who does that sort of thing (NOT me!) The hard drive is accessible right next to the battery.

I am going to hit an Apple store and see if I can get to Maverick from 10.5.8.

Anyone out there running Logic on one of these?

Keep the suggestions coming guys, you have been a huge help!

(Sorry about the non drumming topic)
MSG
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
james

Postby james » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:27 pm

don't do it.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/sys/4071678445.html
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/syd/4141113843.html

the point is not getting more than you need. it's you getting more for your money.
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:58 am

I hear what you are saying James, but there are many laptops out there that have been pretty abused (like one of the ones that you linked.) What is it worth to know (pretty well) the user that the machine come from? And know exactly how they have treated it? Which in my case... The machine has been downright "babied!" (except for one key that has popped off.)

Yes I know I am "losing" the modern i5 or i7 speed, but aren't I "gaining" in a lot of free software and (I haven't mentioned this yet) pretty "unlimited" customer support from the seller, who is a working IT pro, a good deal of accessories and cords, and a machine that is in GREAT shape!

I've been using it this week, (as an unlimited test drive) and am pretty happy so far.
Is there anyone here currently using one of these?
How do you like it?

MSG
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:05 am

My Mac Mini arrives tomorrow morning... That´s the best bang for the buck right now IMO.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:01 am

Quick update: Got my mac mini and she´s KILLER! Super silent and lightning fast... Ram is cheap also. Can´t go wrong with it IMO. Good luck!

Return to “Drumming Chat”