Vic Firth 'joins forces' with Zildjian

Tombo 7/4

Re: Vic Firth 'joins forces' with Zildjian

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:41 pm

American sticks prices are prohibitive here in Canada IMO.
I can't make up my mind on paying $18 for a pair of VF 5As that I will break within a week.
I now buy only Vater Goodwoods at $7. I go through lots of pairs hitting on the store counter to pitch match them but I save a lot of $$.
Christopher

Postby Christopher » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:11 am

I used Zildjian’s Vinnie model for a year or two back in the 90s. They did have a tendency to inconsistent, quality wise. Had to roll allot of sticks.

Vic Firth since then. 5As and 5Bs. I think they are doing a great job with quality. I’d say in the past five or so years, I’ve run into very few that I had to put back on the rack after rolling.

I like Vater as well, but Vic Firth sticks seem to weigh slightly more, which I like.

I hope the merger doesn’t change the quality, or jack the prices.

Found a pair of these in my Christmas stocking…

http://www.vicfirth.com/products/americ ... cforce.php

They felt a little strange at first, but very well balanced. Getting to like them.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:45 am

I still dig my Vinnie sticks. Best sticks ever for my hands. I dobuy enough of them to match them up myself so it's not a big problem, but I feel it's Zildjians job to take care of that.

I've never broken a stick of any make or model in my life, so I sort of don't get that. After a while the tips start to chip, but it takes a long long time.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:50 am

Tombo 7/4 wrote:I can't make up my mind on paying $18 for a pair of VF 5As

Holy cow!

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:I've never broken a stick of any make or model in my life, so I sort of don't get that. After a while the tips start to chip, but it takes a long long time.

It's not a hard thing to "get". It's not like you found a magical way of playing drums that doesn't wear sticks and literally EVERY pro, semi-pro and otherwise has horrible technique...

You said in another thread you teach snare stuff to students? Do you not teach rimshots?

Guaranteed you play at extremely low volumes, never rimshot and have never played with any moderate volume band, gig or otherwise if you've never broke a stick.

Sticks just wear, there's no getting around that if you are hitting the drums, even at a moderate level. If your sticks aren't wearing, then you're not hitting the drums. It's a very simple thing to understand.

You just can't get those beautiful backbeats without a rimshot, that's partly what makes snares sound so awesome and gives you such a wide dynamic range to play with.
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:10 am

I just picked up some Vater Sugar Maple 5B's and they feel great! Very light, much like the VC & JoJo models. There's more beef to the VAter 5b vs. Vic Firth 5b, which I like.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:54 am

I don't remember criticizing every pro's technique.

I've just not had a stick break yet. Obviously I wear my sticks out from any metal surface on my kit. That's a bit different from breaking them, though. I'm simply saying there hasn't been a brand related quality issue causing me to break a stick. I change them out for other reasons before they are so worn they can't handle normal use.

Return to “Drumming Chat”