More attack from bass drum

electrizer

More attack from bass drum

Postby electrizer » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:40 am

Hello all!

I have a 22 x 17,5 Sonor Delite bass drum, 9 mm thick shell. Just got an Evans EMAD Onyx single ply head for the batter side, and as a reso I've had a ported single ply genera coated with a KickPort.

The muffling I have at the moment is a pillow leaning against the reso and a muffling ring on the EMAD. I'm very happy with the 'thump' I'm getting after changing to the Onyx but playing quite a lot of broken double bass patterns I need to have more attack, more 'click'. Before I used to have a Remo Emperor with a Falam patch and I liked quite a lot. Got the onyx by means of an experiment, but it didn't provide as much 'thump' as this one, and that's why I'm hesitant to part ways with it.

On the other hand I don't really see the point muffling the batter with the pillow if the ring is already on. I might as well go back to the Emperor.

Is there any way I can increase attack still using the Onyx? Tuning methods? Maybe some other muffling?

Thanks in advance for you help guys!
Matus

Re: More attack from bass drum

Postby Matus » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:06 am

Chris nailed it. It's all about getting a hard surface against another hard surface. The old school trick is taping a coin tomthe head and using a hard beater. Hard falams or Danmar patches are more effective. I use a 20"x18", Powersonic head, double falams and DW plastic beaters. Great sound right when you open the mics.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:48 pm

What they said ... and /or turn a knob on the mixing board.
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:09 am

bstocky wrote:What they said ... and /or turn a knob on the mixing board.

Bus it out to a hi-pass filter, squash it with a limiter/compressor. Adjust hi frequency peak and you are good. ---if using a mic

If going acoustic, sandwhich a quarter between two falam patches and put on kicks. Do not tape a quarter on your bass drum, or put a patch over it---you need one behind it so you do not destroy the bass head. Find some wood beaters that are not too heavy, cause that may mess up your playing if using a double pedal.

Add a nice pillow slammed against your drum head.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:22 am

I appreciate all the suggestions, thanks!

However, the mix is irrelevant at this point. I want to be able to make the drum sound good on its own. I'm starting to think that a single-ply head is not the right tool for my job. Will try experimenting with head tensions

Return to “Drumming Chat”