Ricky Lawson?

Morgenthaler

Re: Ricky Lawson?

Postby Morgenthaler » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:09 am

At 3:09 there's one of the most important stand alone drum hits in the history of pop:

Also, jump to 9:45 in this one for more insane pocket:

Niles

Postby Niles » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:05 pm

langmick wrote:That is how I want to go, on the stage...might as well.

RIP Ricky, you were a huge influence on me. Time. Time. Time.

Can't believe how good his time was...uncanny.

What happens when your heroes start to pass on.

Time is right - I worked on the post production for a Steely Dan concert that Ricky played on. At one point I walked into the edit room and told the editor that it sounds like the drums were a little out of phase. The concert was recorded twice on two different days - they were playing Ricky's performance from day 1 and day 2 at the same time. They were lining up perfectly... Now that's time.
Andrew<3'sVinnie

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:59 pm

Cool - any other good stories from that project?
Andrew<3'sVinnie

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:59 pm

Cool - any other good stories from that project?
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:00 am

http://www.mikedolbear.com/story.asp?StoryID=1402&Source=Archive&txtSearch=

Can you see yourself doing this forever?

You never know. I can’t see myself ever stopping playing the drums, that for sure! [Laughs] I got asked to do a reunion tour recently with the Backstreet Boys, but the money was terrible. They were offering $1,500 a week, which in tour terms is bad. They are playing baseball stadiums all the size of Wembley Stadium. Again, this is an instance of people bringing the music industry down. There are tour managers who skim bands money off the top of the tour budget. You have to rise above that stuff and learn what to steer clear of. Most of all, I just thank God for putting me in a position where I can play and survive…
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:35 pm

Been listening to some old Phil with Ricky. He is one of the top five influences on my playing, and how I play shows. He and Chester, they are the examples IMO.

I'm glad that there is somewhere on the internet that cares whether or not he has passed...it's the persistence of the internet that is remarkable, also due to the thinking of great minds.

Ricky had a phenomenal sense of time. I think it might be the most precise, of all the drummers I've played along to, he has such a crisp feel. It's almost un-nerving.

Two friends went down recently and it is good to acknowledge that people have an impact on others.

Getting old really sucks, the good tries hard to outweigh the bad, but it's pretty hard to overcome as time goes on.

Man...what a drummer. The strongest sense of time I've felt. Maybe better than Dennis.

Jeez....

Rene

Postby Rene » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:59 am

Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:12 am

So sad. What a monster pocket player he was.
alva1414

Postby alva1414 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:19 am

A total badass for sure. Hes going to be remembered as a drummer thats in line with people as one of the greatest groove drummers ever. Hes a testament to making your living by being one of the most perfect clocks ever.

Does anyone know of any interviews or videos of him. I don't know if he ever taught or did a video but it would be cool to know of one or here any stories if anyone has studied or done anything with him.
Mark P

Postby Mark P » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:28 am

I knew Ricky pretty well.

I interviewed him here (http://www.mikedolbear.com/story.asp?St ... cky|lawson) and have just prepared a tribute to him to be published on the same site. I'll see if I can't post a link when it's up on the site. Such a sad situation…

Check this performance…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_5C-9TkwjA

Thoughts and prayers with his family...

MP

Return to “Drumming Chat”