Brice Wassy

sjj123

Brice Wassy

Postby sjj123 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:36 am

Became a fan when I couldn't stop listening to JLP "Tchokola" in 1991...still a favorite record. He is a Richard Bona - like dude...plays everything and sings...friggin good drummer. Soooo relaxed

When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
langmick

Re: Brice Wassy

Postby langmick » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:15 am

That was incredible. Thanks for the tip!
Christopher

Postby Christopher » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:36 am

That is some cool stuff. Thanks!

Here's another on of his.

sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:40 am

Shits infectious!............

want to have some fun...get a hold of Sakka Sakka off Tchokola and try to drum all the way through without making a mistake....
When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
langmick

Postby langmick » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:06 am

I love these grooves.
Riddim

Postby Riddim » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:16 pm

Check out Ngafunk.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:13 am

sjj123 wrote:Became a fan when I couldn't stop listening to JLP "Tchokola" in 1991...still a favorite record. He is a Richard Bona - like dude...plays everything and sings...friggin good drummer. Soooo relaxed

2:48 is suspiciously similar to the outro for Man from the Past.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:44 pm

I've been listening to Brice Wassy since Salif Keita's "Ko Yan" and "Soro," that's some of my favorite music ever! Those led me to his own "Shrine Dance" and "Balengu Village." I don't like "NGA Funk" as much. There is a Graham Haynes CD called "The Griots Footsteps" that he sounds wonderful on. I have a compilation that someone gave me years ago that is outstanding, I just wish I knew where the music came from. From all of the samples that I've heard on line, none is what appears on this burnt CD that I have been listening to for years.

Glad to hear people are digging the JLP version of this music, but the Salif Keita music is the DEEP source from whence it came.
He's a musical GENIUS!!!! After those first two recordings graduate to "Amen" w/ Paco Serry (also w/ Wayne Shorter and Zawinul who produced the record,) "Folon" w/ Moktar Samba, and a mellower "Moffou" w/ Mino Cinelu.

I saw Salif in NYC a while back (1995-6 it was after "Folon" had come out) and it was a religious experience. I remember looking around and seeing more (well known, aka famous) musicians at that show than I had ever seen at one show. During a tune, people walked on stage and threw handfuls of money at Salif's feet!!! Amazing.... but I was transfixed by the music!

MSG
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html

Return to “Drumming Chat”