NAMM 2014

chris perra

Re: NAMM 2014

Postby chris perra » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:28 am

I just wish Yamaha would stop making finishes like this...

http://www.drumcenternh.com/media/catal ... k-wood.jpg

Why on earth would you create a faux wood stereo speaker finish?....
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:56 pm

It's not a fake finish is it?
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:06 pm

Not sure what you mean... It's a real finish. It's wood but looks like stereo speaker finish to me..
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:25 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm not crazy about it either, but it does seem really "durable", as compared to a regular wood finish. It may even be painted (not sure), although the grain still shows through via its physical "relief" pattern. I think they first used that finish on the Club Custom.
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:39 pm

I don't think it's faux, it's just black? Here's one of the PHX finishes:

drumnhands

Postby drumnhands » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:17 pm

Finishes are a tough thing, maybe one of the hardest things to figure out what will sell and what won't. And when you think you have it, trends change and it's up in the air again. Sure, the standard Solid Black and Cherry Wood, etc. will always do well. You still have to step out of the box some and take a few chances with something different. That Black Wood finsh actually looks really good in person. The dark silver chrome hardware compliments it well and it has a nice sheen to it. Granted, not going to be everyone's cup of tea but it's selling fairly well. We think we have a retty good selection with the Absolute Hybrid Maple, we'll know better a year from now.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu May 08, 2014 4:00 pm

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:I can hardly see the difference between the Vinnie stick and a regular American Classic 5B, but it feels totally different. Weird finish and those extra few grams at the front end make all the difference.

I finally got around to trying Vinnie's new stick, and it really is heavier near the tip than a regular 5B. I prefer the 5B, for now.
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Fri May 09, 2014 1:19 pm

Yes it's AMAZING how much difference a few well placed grams on a stick matters. I used VF 5A's for a long time, and always turned the LH stick around because I couldn't find a comfortable trad grip balance point. Steve gave me a few pairs of his sig sticks to try after I told him about that, saying that he had felt the same thing. He really spent some time with VF creating his stick. Now mind you, I could care less about the signature nature of a stick, but lo and behold they felt much more balanced. I dug the longer and flatter tip as well.

I still usually use SD4's for jazz, but the SSS's are my rock stick now. Strangely enough, I think I remember comparing shaft width on the VF website a while back, and seeing the the shafts of the SD4 and the SSS are very close, but because of balance, tip shape, taper (I guess...) the SD4's feel so much lighter.

Stick design and feel is a funny business!
MSG
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri May 09, 2014 1:59 pm

I saw this today on Vinnie's guestbook, funny. :-)

"4/16/2014 - Odd-Arne Oseberg - Norway
You've always been an inspiration.

Please get back to your old drum sticks, though. They were the best sticks in the world. The new ones are unplayable to me."
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Matthijs Ament

Postby Matthijs Ament » Sat May 10, 2014 1:03 am

Well, I agree with Odd-Arne that the Zildjian VC sticks are 'the best sticks in the world'… ;-]… to me. Would it not be possible for the Zildjian corp. to continue the stick and rename it? Like MSG said, the few grams and mill's on the length DO have a great impact on the overall sound and feel. Vinnie might have a different liking today for what he needs.

Return to “Drumming Chat”