NAMM 2014

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: NAMM 2014

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:13 am

It's sort of a love chocolate therefore I must hate vanilla kind of thing.

Offcourse I've tried every stick I've ever come across, this is just where I ended up and it happens to be different fom any other thing out there.

I've been a guitar player most of my life and at some point I enede up using mostly a BF combo and a strat, over time it's what I use for everything. In a way I guess it's the most broing combination ever, but it works and I can concentrate on what I really care about. Getting better at playing music.

I'm actually quite tired of gear in general. I know what I like and what works for me. Getting out of that as much time as I've spent on it just frees up time for other stuff. Like having a life.

I do use other stuff sometimes, especially since my only gig these days is orchestral stuff. I'm doing Carmina Burana at the moment. I have Tom Gauger sticks as well as the full Jan Pustjens assortment, but to be honest unless I need something else to please the conductor or it makes certain things easier I end up with the Zildjian VInnie. It brings out such a fatness from any snare.

It's a like an engineer using a nice preamp. You might not notice it, but you defiently do when it's gone or you try switching it in and out. The John Riley stick has a similar tip, but the few times actually need something different and lighter for the ride(less and less) I just ue a Erskine ride stick. I just don't like light sticks in general.

If I were to use lighter stick as a main stick I'm actually quite fond of the Jeff Porcaro stick.

However, as I prefer something beefier and rely as much on Moeller type technique as I do, the Vinnie stick fits the bill. It almost plays itself.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:38 pm

Good for you guys that you did your homework! I use whatever I have around... 5a, 5b, Boleros, 7a, 55a...
There certain sticks that I hate right away (VF Extreme 5a are one of those), but for the rest, I can play with almost anything...
Rhythmatist

Postby Rhythmatist » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:27 pm

electrizer wrote:
Julián Fernández wrote:Just drop it, guys... Let´s go back at how Yamaha moved to China and Vinnie is loose with no endorsements... :)

Watching that Yamaha promo vid was actually quite funny to me

"Handcrafted since 1967" - WOW
"Yamaha Absolute" - WOW
"Hybrid Maple" - WOW
"Made in China" - :|

Exactly why I went out of my way to find an Oak Custom before they were gone. I had heard a few kits (two in particular that Weckl played when he was in town) that I was just blown away by and thought I should grab one before they went extinct. I never considered the Live Custom simply because of the China thing. A manufacturing company I worked for outsourced its production to China and got back total crap in return. Lesson learned.
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:40 am

Julián Fernández wrote:Good for you guys that you did your homework! I use whatever I have around... 5a, 5b, Boleros, 7a, 55a...
There certain sticks that I hate right away (VF Extreme 5a are one of those), but for the rest, I can play with almost anything...

When I was 12 I started a band in my friend's basement. Lost the sticks so for some time I played with bicycle pumps :D
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:15 pm

electrizer wrote:
Julián Fernández wrote:Good for you guys that you did your homework! I use whatever I have around... 5a, 5b, Boleros, 7a, 55a...

When I was 12 I started a band in my friend's basement. Lost the sticks so for some time I played with bicycle pumps :D

Sounds like some young drummers I've had to deal yith when teaching ensmble playing in local music schools.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:55 pm

electrizer wrote:When I was 12 I started a band in my friend's basement. Lost the sticks so for some time I played with bicycle pumps

What brand and what size? Floor standing models or pocket size? Did they work with traditional grip, or only match?
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:42 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:
electrizer wrote:When I was 12 I started a band in my friend's basement. Lost the sticks so for some time I played with bicycle pumps

What brand and what size? Floor standing models or pocket size? Did they work with traditional grip, or only match?

Oh man... Graded, reinforced plastic, gold-plated valve threads for improved cymbal definition, ergonomic grip, and extendable telescopic body to allow for a moving bass drum, running away with your rack toms. They don't make that shit anymore :D
drumnhands

Postby drumnhands » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:31 pm

electrizer wrote:
Julián Fernández wrote:Just drop it, guys... Let´s go back at how Yamaha moved to China and Vinnie is loose with no endorsements... :)

"Yamaha Absolute" - WOW
"Hybrid Maple" - WOW

I take it you came to the show and actually saw the drums? Then please tell me what you saw that was sub-par in the fit, finish, and sound of the drums? Funny, Curt Waltrip came over and gave the drums a good hard detailed look because of all the trash talk going on about the move to China and had nothing but great things to say about them. He was blown away by the finishes, the sound..... Fun fact #1: Our factory in China is "green" enough that it could operate in California and pass all environmental standards. The drums are still hand crafted. Every process (which were developed by Yamaha) is as it always was , just using brand new machinery. Yes, they are 100% Yamaha.

Do me a favor. Get rid of everything you own that is made in or contains vital components made in China, and then call me.....no wait, email me.....wait....drive on over.......oh, never mind.
drumnhands

Postby drumnhands » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:46 pm

Rhythmatist wrote:
electrizer wrote:

"Yamaha Absolute" - WOW
"Hybrid Maple" - WOW

Exactly why I went out of my way to find an Oak Custom before they were gone. I had heard a few kits (two in particular that Weckl played when he was in town) that I was just blown away by and thought I should grab one before they went extinct. I never considered the Live Custom simply because of the China thing. A manufacturing company I worked for outsourced its production to China and got back total crap in return. Lesson learned.

The Oak Custom is a great sounding kit, I owned one for nine years. Dave used to play them from time to time, mostly on clinics but some live dates. He's now playing Live Custom in those same situatons and loves the drums. There's a big difference in outsourcing your labor, and in designing and building your own factory from the ground up like we did. The factory in Xiaoshan has been a Yamaha factory since day #1, they have never built anything that wasn't Yamaha. The first instruments to come out of the factory were pianos, then woodwin and brass, then marching percussion. The staff is trained by the same people that trained the staff at Sakae on all of the techniques we use to build our drums. We had staff relocate to China to oversee day to day operations at the factory. The drums coming out of the factory look and sound great, the staff is well paid and the working conditions are excellent.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:58 pm

I saw the new Yamaha stuff, and Jim's right, they look great. The new finishes are really, REALLY sweet!

I'm on the fence with that new YESS III mount though. Aesthetically, it isn't doing it for me. I need to install some new mounts on a Gretsch kit I have on order. My other Gretsch kit has the YESS II mounts, and they work and look fine, so I may use them again.

Return to “Drumming Chat”