BC2, Throne Thumper, Butt Kicker

sjj123

BC2, Throne Thumper, Butt Kicker

Postby sjj123 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:41 am

I had a distant idea regarding these items but after hearing Lucas' interview w/ J Crabtree I got looking closer.
I didn't see any previous threads on them.
The Pearl Thumper seemed the most affordable...any experience with it?
When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
Matthijs Ament

Re: BC2, Throne Thumper, Butt Kicker

Postby Matthijs Ament » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:18 am

It is all very simple electronics. I use the Fischer Amps "Drum Inear Amp". Two stereo [balanced and jack] channels input, one bass shaker output and one line output [low frequency] The only thing really important to me is to have ONLY kick signal on the shaker. It doesn't work for me to put the entire kit in it. [it works for floor toms too] Also, I hate gates but for the shaker they are lifesavers. I don't know about the Pearl but it should be fine. Always try the gear before you buy and use it.
sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:09 pm

As I continue to review this I'm concerned I wont be able to mount it since my DW throne is ALL the way down
NRA Life Member
moose

Postby moose » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:43 am

The BC2 is a dedicated throne, not an after-market mount.

The Pearl is affordable because it's apparently not very good. It's a rebadged version of one of those computer game seat bangers, is not very powerful or robust.

The BC2 is very, very highly regarded (certainly in the UK, where they're made). Porter and Davies have a rackmount version of the electronics now, too. They occasionally come up as factory refurbs, so if you're interested you should contact Dil Davies.

I say "apparently" above because personally I can't stand feedback through the throne. I've tried them several times at shows, and I find it a deeply unpleasant experience. But there are many who rave about them. They can't all be sheep. Can they?
MARACATU

Postby MARACATU » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:44 am

I would be very, very cautious to use such a device; I've heard from a colleague that has low-frequency hearing due to continual use of a buttkicker-like device. Just saying...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17255883
Mark P

Postby Mark P » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:54 pm

I couldn't recommend the Porter & Davis BC2's and Gigsters highly enough.

If you get a chance, email Dil to ask him any questions or any concerns you have about the product. He is a fantastic guy anyone get back to you with everything you need to know and answer all your questions as exhaustively as you will ever need. If you're ever offered the opportunity to try one out before you buy, just try it.

It has made such a difference to my life. As a touring drummer with lots of different artists, I have saved the backs and the wallets of many production companies by having a BC2. It lowers on stage volume and completely negates the need for any low-end monitoring, (i.e. a bass bin/monitor by you) to "feel" any bass frequencies been played on stage.

Try one, try one, try one, try one. Try one!

The gig I'm touring with at the moment would absolutely not be possible without this piece of kit. I'm playing a hybrid acoustic and electric drums, and when I change from a clue stick to electric there is no different in feel thanks to this tactile system.

MP
Florian

Postby Florian » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:25 am

I completely agree with MarkP. I use a BC Gigster and it really makes a world of difference on stage. For me it allows me to use IEMs at a lower overall volume as well as getting immediate tactile feedback on foot placement. There is something to be said about correct foot timing, I think a lot of folks would be surprised at how sloppy their feet based on using tactile feedback. I know it has improved my playing overall and has allowed me to progress in my playing which, in turn, has resuted in better gigs.

F
Sonor/Paiste/UFiP/Vater/Evans/Porter and Davies
sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:36 am

Dang at 1,000 bucks tho'...wew. I did pause to consider MARACATU's heads up....any worry about sensorineural hearing loss Mark?
NRA Life Member
Mark P

Postby Mark P » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:06 am

sjj123 wrote:Dang at 1,000 bucks tho'...wew. I did pause to consider MARACATU's heads up....any worry about sensorineural hearing loss Mark?

Absolutely no sensorineural hearing loss at all.
We are playing to an arena of 20,000 people tonight in Lithuania, and I could literally not play this show without it. The electronics give NOTHING back, so it's really important.
It makes your whole mix richer and warmer, because it's tactile monitoring.

Try one out, please, do yourself a favour!

MP
sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:12 am

Old thread...Butt Kicker, Pearl Thumper...anybody using these...comments
NRA Life Member

Return to “Drumming Chat”