Sight reading

BrOliveira

Re: Sight reading

Postby BrOliveira » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:20 am

Thanks guys! Guess I'll have some work to do, all sugestions are appreciated, thanks for all your insights!

If someone has something valuable to add to this discussion, please do so, I need all the help I can get and this information should be helpful for those in the same situation as me!

Cheers!
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:47 pm

I'd also add, try to make your own charts,... As best you can,.. the real deal with repeats ect...
Start with really basic tunes and work your way up.. Having to write stuff out yourself is a challenge if you haven't done it, and it really helps out with the recognition of common rhythms and figures,.. very much like common words we use every day.

Plus if you are doing repeats, codas ect. trying to make a first rate chart you get a better feel of how the components go together structure wise..
Getting together with a college level teacher would be a good idea for this as well to make sure you're getting it right...
willyz

Postby willyz » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:28 am

I agree with Chris. I write charts for every gig I get called for. It really helps for rehearsals, and if you're lucky enough to be able to have some rehearsing with the band, by the time the gig rolls around you can be chartless!
Got Blushda?
Riddim

Postby Riddim » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:42 pm

Somebody has mentioned transcription. This is key, because writing is a great way to enhance one's ability to read any language. You'll internalize various rhythmic phrases, and get used to thinking in terms of whole verses, choruses, etc.

A good thing to do is to transcribe, say, a tune a week. I'd start with something simple, off the radio. Expect to do multiple drafts, just as you'd do with an essay or article for publication. But keep doing it. The more you do, the easier it gets.

Very important - after an early draft - is play along with the tune using your chart. Never assume it's accurate until you, and preferably someone else, can play through accurately the first time. Make sure it's something you can read from 3 feet away, and the figures are legible. Notate neatly and clearly, or invest in Finale.

Case in point: one weekend I had to learn 28 tunes -- all new to me -- when I subbed for a rock band. I found if I wrote a dot for each measure, that I had the form of the tune on paper with the first listen. Then I'd listen again and annotate the tempo, groove, and key hits or fills. Once the draft was accurate, I'd finalize, which often required a rewrite on a clean sheet of paper, and make it look like a decent drum chart. I'd usually have it playable within 20 minutes/tune. With pop stuff, it's generally about getting the feel and form right, so the transcription process, while labor intensive, wasn’t as demanding as copping Zappa tunes.

I received the cassette on a Friday. When the leader came by Sunday to run through them, I nailed them all, and 1 gig turned to 4.
Last edited by Riddim on Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:55 am

So true, given the fact there are a very limited number of possible 16th note rhythms. Once you internalize the "blocks", everything really just falls into place. Particularly with drum notation, it's pretty much a grid based on 16th notes.

Like reading or writing any language, you get better by doing. The more you read and write the better you will get at it, it's just that simple.

I forgot also to mention, books like NewBreed, Syncopation, Modern Reading Text, etc will greatly improve your sight reading skills as well as your overall playing.

Now the REAL trick is being able to sight read and make it groove and sound like you are NOT reading. That's really the goal.
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:03 am

what do you guys use to create charts?
Matus

Postby Matus » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:09 am

There's also a difference between real transcription (note by note) and writing charts of something. A common transcription will have 3, 5 pages of fully notated music. On a common "one shot" pop gig I'll end up doing like two full charts per page... You'll get more benefits from the former, as you'll develop more control over music language, but good charting skills always help both live and in the studio.
Most of my studio charts are laughable to say the least. Funny mixtures of text, incomplete music notation and silly reminders. Something like this for a 7 min song:

If I was to actually transcribe something I'd go as deep as defining dynamics, distinctive snare hits and lots of different cymbal notations.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:14 am

deseipel wrote:what do you guys use to create charts?

Paper and Pencil/Pen.

Despite technology, software etc, hand writing music is leaps and bounds superior to using a computer.

Nice chart Matus! Looks kinda like my short hand ones. That is a big piece of paper too!
Riddim

Postby Riddim » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:58 pm

YamahaPlayer wrote:So true, given the fact there are a very limited number of possible 16th note rhythms. Once you internalize the "blocks", everything really just falls into place. Particularly with drum notation, it's pretty much a grid based on 16th notes.

Like reading or writing any language, you get better by doing. The more you read and write the better you will get at it, it's just that simple.

I forgot also to mention, books like NewBreed, Syncopation, Modern Reading Text, etc will greatly improve your sight reading skills as well as your overall playing.

Now the REAL trick is being able to sight read and make it groove and sound like you are NOT reading. That's really the goal.

Amen.
Andy Vermiglio

Postby Andy Vermiglio » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:12 pm

Working on reading with a good instructor is really helpful. Also, as mentioned a number of times already, creating your own transcriptions is not only a great tool to help your reading it is a great skill to have.

I've received a number of those "my drummer can't make the gig" calls. No rehearsal, here's a tape or disc of our tunes, no charts...and the gig is tomorrow. I used a short hand method to write out the forms and the importrant figures. No time to practice, I would just show up and read my charts.

Return to “Drumming Chat”