Antonio Sanchez

Paul Marangoni

Antonio Sanchez

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:03 pm

gretsch-o-rama

Re: Antonio Sanchez

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:31 pm

He lost me about a half hour into the masterclass...I think he's a drummer that strugggles with simplicity. Just seems like he's bogged down sometimes with how complex he thinks things are supposed to be...I'm also quite surprised that Metheny has established so much with him. I can't attest to knowing how Metheny thinks, musically speaking but I would think these two are an odd pair...Of course, this is all just my opinion. :-)
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:40 pm

The masterclass is really good, give it a chance. He's really open and talks about a lot of different things he's gone through.
sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:55 pm

I saw Antonio w/ Pat about 2 weeks ago here in upstate NY....First off...Chris Potter killed it! He was really good. Pat is always good but he appeared exhausted and even was yawning while playing a few times.
Antonio is a busy body...difficult for me to relax and listen too. I thought his drums sounded shitty but he also never hits anything normally rather rim shot this and mute that. He's way beyond my comprehension.
I too dont see/feel/hear a great fit with Pat and frankly dont enjoy anything with Antonio nearly as much as Wertico
When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:53 pm

Antonio always sounds killing to me.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:14 pm

sjj123 wrote:I saw Antonio w/ Pat about 2 weeks ago here in upstate NY....First off...Chris Potter killed it! He was really good. Pat is always good but he appeared exhausted and even was yawning while playing a few times.
Antonio is a busy body...difficult for me to relax and listen too. I thought his drums sounded shitty but he also never hits anything normally rather rim shot this and mute that. He's way beyond my comprehension.
I too dont see/feel/hear a great fit with Pat and frankly dont enjoy anything with Antonio nearly as much as Wertico

Are you talking about Buffalo? That was a month ago, the day before my birthday actually...
willyz

Postby willyz » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:14 pm

I saw him with Adam Rogers at the Vanguard in NYC a few years ago- thought he killed the gig. He's got some expressive ideas, that's for sure!
Got Blushda?
sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:21 am

Guess it was March 20th...Schenectady, NY
When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:05 pm

Antonio is great, but not my cup of tea. Too much cross stick/dead stick/muted tom stuff going on for me. I actually prefer Gottlieb, but on record, Antonio is pretty smokin'.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:18 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:Antonio is great, but not my cup of tea. Too much cross stick/dead stick/muted tom stuff going on for me. I actually prefer Gottlieb, but on record, Antonio is pretty smokin'.

I had always heard that when Metheny and Gottlieb split, it's wasn't amicable. I'd love to read about that...Anyone have some resources? Thank you

Return to “Drumming Chat”