"Whiplash"...Are you rushing or dragging? - New film

Postby Juan Expósito » Thu May 22, 2014 12:24 pm

New film for 2014
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2582802/

Killer clip:
Kurtis

Re: Tempo...Are you rushing or dragging? - New film

Postby Kurtis » Thu May 22, 2014 12:58 pm

That reminds me of the time Efrain Toro used to slap me on the back while I was playing cause I was dragging. He didn't throw a chair at me or slap me in the face tho. That would have made me turn green, grow 15 feet tall and tear apart the room.

Will give this flick a look see when it comes out
MRhet

Postby MRhet » Thu May 22, 2014 2:03 pm

Earlier:

http://www.houseofdrumming.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1973&p=30582&hilit=Film#p30582

I had been hoping that someone had heard about this film.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Thu May 22, 2014 4:34 pm

That's why it pays to know more shit about what you are doing than anyone else in the room. It pays to be a winner, but honestly that clip rates closest to one of the dumbest things I've seen online. My point being, it's your job to care, not somebody to slap you in the face until you do.... IMO
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Thu May 22, 2014 5:26 pm

Looks like it will be available soon enough - sony picked it up apparently.
Rhythmatist

Postby Rhythmatist » Thu May 22, 2014 7:26 pm

We are Farmer's...da-da-da-da, da-da-da! Oops, rushed that a tad.
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Thu May 22, 2014 10:01 pm

First time I watched that clip I thougt it was a humor video for internet. I hope the film is not so exaggerated.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Fri May 23, 2014 1:36 am

amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Fri May 23, 2014 2:05 am

Whiplash is a 2014 American drama film written and directed by Damien Chazelle. The film stars Miles Teller as Andrew Neyman, a young jazz drummer who attends one of the best music schools in the country under the tutelage of the school’s fearsome maestro of jazz named Terence Fletcher (J. K. Simmons). It also stars Melissa Benoist, Austin Stowell, Jayson Blair, and Kavita Patil.

The film premiered in-competition in the US Dramatic Category at 2014 Sundance Film Festival on January 16, 2014, as the opening film of the festival.[2][3][4] Shortly after the film's premiere screening, Sony Pictures Worldwide acquired the international distribution rights.[5] The film is also scheduled to screen at the Directors' Fortnight running alongside the 2014 Cannes Film Festival.[6]

Production

Originally conceived in the form of an 85-page screenplay, Damien Chazelle's Whiplash came to prominence after being featured in the 2012 Black List that includes the top motion picture screenplays not yet produced.[7] After being reached out by producers, Chazelle took 15 pages from his original screenplay and adapted it into a short film starring Johnny Simmons in the role of the drummer and J. K. Simmons in the role of the teacher.[8] The 18-minute short film went on to much acclaim after screening at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival,[9] which ultimately attracted investors to sign on and produce the complete version of the script.[10] The feature-length film was financed for $3.3 million by Bold Films.[5]

In August 2013, Miles Teller signed on to star in the role originated by Johnny Simmons; J. K. Simmons remained attached to his original role.[11] Principal photography began the following month with filming taking place throughout Los Angeles, including the Hotel Barclay, Palace Theater, and the Orpheum Theatre.[12][13]

Reception

Critical response

Whiplash was acclaimed by critics upon its premiere on the opening night of the 2014 Sundance Film Festival. Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 93% of 14 film critics have given the film a positive review, with a rating average of 7.8 out of 10.[14]

Peter Debruge, in his review for Variety, said that the film "demolishes the cliches of the musical-prodigy genre, investing the traditionally polite stages and rehearsal studios of a topnotch conservatory with all the psychological intensity of a battlefield or sports arena."[15] Todd McCarthy of The Hollywood Reporter praised the performances of Teller and Simmons, saying, "Teller, who greatly impressed in last year’s Sundance entry The Spectacular Now, does so again in a performance that is more often simmering than volatile." McCarthy added, "Simmons has the great good fortune for a character actor to have here found a co-lead part he can really run with, which is what he excitingly does with a man who is profane, way out of bounds and, like many a good villain, utterly compelling."[16] Amber Wilkinson from Telegraph praised the direction and editing "Chazelle's film has a sharp and gripping rhythm, with shots, beautifully edited by Tom Cross (Crazy Heart, Wrong Turn), often cutting to the crash of Andrew's drums."[17] James Rocchi of Indiewire gave a positive review and said, "Whiplash is...full of bravado and swagger, uncompromising where it needs to be, informed by great performances and patient with both its characters and the things that matter to them."[18] Henry Barnes from Guardian gave the film a positive review, calling it a rare film "about music that professes its love for the music and its characters equally."[19]

Accolades

The film received the top audience and grand jury awards in the U.S. dramatic competition at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival;[20] Chazelle's short film of the same name took home the jury award in the U.S. fiction category one year prior.[9]

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiplash_%282014_film%29
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Fri May 23, 2014 5:36 am

Steve Holmes wrote:Looks like it will be available soon enough - sony picked it up apparently.

I found this information >>>

Whiplash

Release Date: October 10, 2014 (limited)
Studio: Sony Pictures Classics

...and these lovely screenshots...;) >>>
http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=107399
Last edited by amoergosum on Fri May 23, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Drumming Chat”