"Whiplash"...Are you rushing or dragging? - New film

electrizer

Re: Tempo...Are you rushing or dragging? - New film

Postby electrizer » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:27 pm

Drummer Peter Erskine on Jazz Flick 'Whiplash' wrote:I've played under the baton of stern and demanding conductors, as well as the critical ears of some pretty tough bandleaders. I've always experienced equal amounts of praise and criticism from the toughest of them. A conductor or bandleader will only get good results if he or she shows as much love or enthusiasm as the discipline or toughness they dole out. Being a jerk is, ultimately, self-defeating in music education: for one thing, the band will not respond well; secondly, such bandleaders are anathema to the other educators who ultimately wind up acting as judges in competitive music festivals -- such bands will never win (the judges will see to that).

http://www.kcet.org/arts/artbound/counties/los-angeles/drummer-peter-erskine-on-whiplash-film.html
john lamb

Postby john lamb » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:14 am

electrizer wrote:
Julián Fernández wrote:
Rhythmatist wrote:It should NEVER hurt even if you practiced 16 hours a day.

I disagree. After 8 hours sitting on a throne, back muscles can hurt. After playing long periods of time you´ll forearms will burn.
Everyone is different on how they learn and how much connection they have with their own body... I get your point, but there´s really no absolutes.
The whole "relaxed at all times" is quite overrated imo. Human body doesn´t work like that, and as any athlete, a drummer playing physical/aggressive stuff (think Buddy!) will be contracting muscles all over and sweating like a pig... Nothing wrong with that...

Practiced jazz the other day dor 3 hrs and I had to stop because my left leg muscles just couldnt take it anymore :)

There is sitting technique as well as stick technique. It is perfectly possible to sit all day and not have your back hurt. However, most drummers slouch, which puts too much strain and pressure on the front side of the spine and not enough on the back part, causing discomfort leading to injury over time. You can sit in a much more relaxed way, allowing the bones to hold up your body so your muscles don't have to. This also improves playing because now those muscles are available to contribute to a performance.

Like willyz said... if you are feeling that kind of discomfort, then it is a sign that you're doing something wrong. One thing I liked about the movie, even with the ridiculous technique, was the improvement made at the last solo (which really delivered as a transformation, imho)
Check out my books:
Anatomy of Drumming
A Matter Of Time
Strt Playng Drums
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:15 am

I've found the best position for me, which contributes both to better foot playing and alleviating back discomfort, is sitting straight while leaning forward slightly. Think the £ symbol, the horizontal line being your thighs. This can even be corroborated by the correct posture for doing excercises like squats or deadlift (see picture). However that's difficult and has to be incorporated into your playing just like the licks or grooves you practice, as very often I myself forget about this and unwittingly go back to slounching.

Image Image
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:25 pm

I sit as far back on my seat as I can go before "falling off." It seems to provide a lighter feel in my feet, so I don't need to mash the beater in all the time.
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:29 pm

Oscars 2015: Best picture nominees

"American Sniper" (Clint Eastwood)
"Boyhood" (Richard Linklater)
"Birdman" (Alejandro González Iñárritu)
"The Grand Budapest Hotel" (Wes Anderson)
"The Imitation Game" (Morten Tyldum)
"Selma" (Ava DuVernay)
"The Theory of Everything" (James Marsh)
"Whiplash" (Damien Chazelle)
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:46 am

Posters for this movie have just appeared here in London, UK. I'll try to go and see it.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:57 am

amoergosum wrote:Oscars 2015: Best picture nominees

"Birdman" (Alejandro González Iñárritu)

Going by Facebook you'd think Sanchez figures they would include his score if he shuttup.
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:42 pm

An interview with the director from London's Timeout:

IMG_20150118_211152_246.jpg
IMG_20150118_211152_246.jpg (651.44 KiB) Viewed 7858 times
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:13 pm

Absolutely absurd story (often laughable) with a ridiculous/pathetic last act.
This movie didn't deserve to be nominated for an Oscar.
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:54 am

amoergosum wrote:Absolutely absurd story (often laughable) with a ridiculous/pathetic last act.
This movie didn't deserve to be nominated for an Oscar.

Haven't seen the movie yet but it seems that it's a wasted opportunity which could have been used to present the real-life struggle of a hard practicing musician trying to overcome his limitations on the way to greatness (or something of the like) instead of focusing on making it look like a "war movie" :/ Sensationalism sells...

Return to “Drumming Chat”