Your Latest Fav Piece-a-Gear?

Christopher

Your Latest Fav Piece-a-Gear?

Postby Christopher » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:22 pm

Anyone get anything recently gear wise that you're really digging?

My last buy still has me smiling when I use it. Even if its not the most exciting thing in the world.

I usually like to use a cowbell positioned "ala Weckl" (and many others, of course) on the kick hoop. Often, the mounts that I had would slip (which would bug me tons), or even worse, crush the hoop if I tightened it too hard to keep it from slipping.

Recently picked up one of these.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-pe ... hook-clamp

I have (and love) all Yammy hardware, but DW really came through on this. Since it grabs the hoop "long-ways" it really makes it rock steady.

You?
willyz

Re: Your Latest Fav Piece-a-Gear?

Postby willyz » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:37 pm

I bought a (hardly) used Gretsch hammered-brass snare (14x5) a good few months ago that I've only been able to play once or twice. But man, that snare kills!

Also been digging my 21" Fierce Ride... first one was stolen and this one is a worthy replacement!
Got Blushda?
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:12 pm

Just got these..Headhunters hot rod thingy's. Believe it or not each one is different and has different unique properties,still waiting on 2 more types of brushes..Image
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:22 pm

Image :D :D :D
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:44 pm

Those look sweet Julian. Are they some of the "new" Yamaha's? Details? Opinions?
What are those Headhunter things? Brushes? Rods? Sticks? Details?

I recently got a few new snares.
An 8x15 1957 WFL solid Mahogany. I heard Levon use one of these at a session once, and have had "that sound" ringing in my head since!
Another Longo, this one is a 6x14 Walnut, believe the hype!!! I love solid Walnut and Cherry Solids!
ADM-Sleishman 7x12 "true free floating" Jarrah Stave. Can you say "bark?" Whew!!!
Also found a Yamaha 1980's Steel 5x14, and a Remo Golden Crown (these always intrigued me.)

Lets see if I can get Photobucket to work since image shack is no longer free.

Snares are all pictured below.
http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag4 ... b005a9.jpg

I also picked up a 10" and a 12" Yamaha Stage Custom Snares to create my "Keltner Kit" utilizing mounted snares instead of mounted toms. I am also keeping the open subsonic Keltner Bass Drum sound on this kit as well. I might even try using the new 8x15 WFL snare in the "floor tom" position on this set for some gigs. Always fun to experiment!
http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag4 ... 275a53.jpg

MSG
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
kaide

Postby kaide » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:16 am

nomsgmusic wrote:
Another Longo, this one is a 6x14 Walnut, believe the hype!!! I love solid Walnut and Cherry Solids!

MSG

I'm playing Longo 14x6 Walnut right now at the theater musical. It IS good :) I also have 14x7,5 Walnut and 14x5,5 Cherry Longo's. Great snares!
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:52 pm

Chris - do you have a pic of that cowbell mount on your kit you could share?
Christopher

Postby Christopher » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:30 pm

Hey Steve, sure thing.

Excuse the ugliness of my cowbell. It sounds 1000 times better than it looks. :)
Christopher

Postby Christopher » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:47 pm

Wow, nomsgmusic!

That is a serious group of great drums!

Instant, bad case of snare drum envy has got me at the moment. ;)

nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:28 pm

Christopher,

No reason for snare envy, they're just instruments, alone they do nothing! But there ARE a bunch there whose sound really inspires me (and the musicians around me.) I think that different instruments (sounds) can inspire you to use different parts of your vocabulary (both in ideas and feel.) I'm just thankful that I have the opportunities to play them and make a living making people smile (with music.) I have some friends that borrow a few of those drums for recordings, and I let students pick what snare they want to play at lessons.

OK, different subject...

Is there any "flex" in that DW cowbell clamp? I HATE the cowbell holders that clamp onto the rim, due to the flex and the hoop "scarring." I actually created an arm that comes off of the tom pole, but now my main set has a virgin BD, so I go without a cowbell most of the time (unless it's specifically needed.) But there is two percussionists in the band that that specific set is mostly working with. So the last thing I need is a cowbell.

But I'm still interested in how that works? Because occasionally I have to use the cowbell "Bissonette Style," as a small inconspicuous 3x5 Card notebook holder for music cheat sheet charts. No one ever knows it's there!

Anyway...
MSG
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html

Return to “Drumming Chat”