Drum Camp topic: drum camp reviews and info

Lucas Ives

Re: Drum Camp topic: drum camp reviews and info

Postby Lucas Ives » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:04 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:https://rhythmretreat.com/event-details/

Cobham, Weck and I teaching in NY early September. I'm stoked to be a part of this!

Have always thought you're one of the best out there at breaking down concepts and making them accessible; really excited to hear this. Congrats Steve, well deserved.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:58 pm

Thanks Lucas - we'll see what happens. ;)
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Steve you need to get an interview with Weck! Get two or three camera shots and your good to go. No softballs. All fastball questions. Maybe Weck will go for it. No one has ever "interviewed" Weck. I'm sure it would be the best drummer interview ever. Take advantage of the time with these monster musicians. Glad you have the opportunity.
GoAndPractice

Postby GoAndPractice » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:31 pm

Kurtis wrote:Steve you need to get an interview with Weck! Get two or three camera shots and your good to go. No softballs. All fastball questions. Maybe Weck will go for it. No one has ever "interviewed" Weck. I'm sure it would be the best drummer interview ever. Take advantage of the time with these monster musicians. Glad you have the opportunity.

x2
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:15 pm

What more do you need to know about from Weckl that hasn't been divulged already? Isn't the music and playing enough? He's put out something like four or five DVDs covering all aspects of playing and practicing. Do you want to know what types of tires he puts on his Vette when he goes to the track? What he eats for breakfast? Who his favorite authors are? What his GPA was in college?
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:39 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:What more do you need to know about from Weckl that hasn't been divulged already? Isn't the music and playing enough? He's put out something like four or five DVDs covering all aspects of playing and practicing. Do you want to know what types of tires he puts on his Vette when he goes to the track? What he eats for breakfast? Who his favorite authors are? What his GPA was in college?

What? Then no more interviews to [insert any cultural luminary here] either? An interview should be more like a talk, an interchange, between (hopefully) two smart people. It´s not about personal details, it´s about engaging the other and making him comfortable enough to let him express as freely and honest as possible. I say, GO FOR IT, STEVE! :mrgreen:
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:11 pm

Paul I love your imagination. Nothing to bring to the table. Paul keep reaching. It's funny.

I would love to hear about some recordings he's been on. Fly on the wall stuff. Stories! I'm sure he has lots of them. Experiences in the studio. How he prepares for recording records. How great it feels to show up and nail the music first take and he's out of there. How he has stumbled on some of his licks. Traveling nightmares. His favorite rythem section scenario. What years did he practice the most. Aging and still being at top of your game. Lots of ?'s. I'm sure many on HOD would like to ask him many questions that have never been asked.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:05 pm

It just seems like it's never enough for some people. Weckl is easily one of the most documented drummers in history.

Do I have questions I would like to ask him? Sure, and I will next time I find myself having a private conversation with him (which will probably be never). People can only be so candid when in a public forum. I feel that Dave has shared more than enough of his wisdom with regard to drumming and music. To demand more is just greedy.

I'm glad I've made you smile Kurtis.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:33 am

Paul Marangoni wrote: Do you want to know what types of tires he puts on his Vette when he goes to the track? What he eats for breakfast? Who his favorite authors are? What his GPA was in college?

Are you saying he doesn't have a book face?
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:03 pm

There are some things I'm curious about about his experiences and his success over the last 20 years. Must have been a hell of a ride up til now. Things have changed so much during that time.

Return to “Drumming Chat”