Drum Camp topic: drum camp reviews and info

Kurtis

Re: Drum Camp topic: drum camp reviews and info

Postby Kurtis » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:26 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:There are some things I'm curious about about his experiences and his success over the last 20 years. Must have been a hell of a ride up til now. Things have changed so much during that time.

That's a nice positive statement. I'm curious also. That's what humans do. They get curious a lot.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:15 pm

Plus the whole crowd funding experience, leading the Acoustic Band... Tons of topics to talk about imo.
btw, his A Natural Evolution dvd series are over 10 years old now.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:09 pm

Julián Fernández wrote:Plus the whole crowd funding experience, leading the Acoustic Band... Tons of topics to talk about imo.
btw, his A Natural Evolution dvd series are over 10 years old now.

There we go. More positive feedback.

If there is one person I could pick to interview Weck it's Steve. I would be a great co-interviewer.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:09 am

I would need to put on Trance-Dance from Eye of the Beholder and geek out at all the cool fills with you Kurt while he rolled his eyes. Hah!
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:11 am

Yeah...I'm w/Kurtis on this one. I'd like to know all about his love of cars, what books he reads,
movies he likes. No problem with that. Does Charlie Rose say, "Al Pachino...no, let's not book him,
been around since the 70's...done a lot of movies...let's get that Zack kid instead."

A new book came out on Alexander Hamilton. Cats been around for a long time. Why more on
a founding father? Because he's INTERESTING!

Dave's a drum celebrity. Period. The elephant in the room is he is one of the core inspirations for
this site. There's a reason for this and it ain't just drumming. I think it's called biography. I think
"some" forget Dave is a household name to us...greatness appeals to new generations. Interviews
keep all generations informed! We identify with much more than technical drum talk. Stories weave
us together. I'm sure none of us ever watched, Behind the Music...right?

I do get the, "ENOUGH" about the gossip crap that is such a part of our culture. There is a vast difference
between good journalism and TMZ...let's not confuse the two.
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:22 am

A part of the problem is the interviews have been done already. Not everyone has read them, but I can't imagine too many questions he would answer that haven't been asked.
The quick translation of that is there's nothing I would want to know. But that would be me, and I'm not a drum hero worship sort of guy. Not that there's a thing wrong with that if you want to partake.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:41 pm

Here's a good interview - starts at 5:30

bensdrums

Postby bensdrums » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:12 am

Congratulations Steve. What an amazing opportunity and privilege. I'm sure you'll do well and have plenty to offer... even in that kind of company, which is a testament in itself to your ability, like Lucas said, to break down concepts and make them both palatable and digestible by players at all levels.

WRT drummer interviews, I think it really depends on the skill level, personality, and/or general awareness of the subject of the interviewer. The guy on 'I'd Hit That' for example is really, really good at drawing out his guest's personalities and motivations. It's not this desperate sounding, "OMG it's SO awesome to be talking to you [insert big name drummer here], you played on [such & such] and it was AWESOME! Tell us about how AWESOME it was to do THAT!" A lot of drummer interviews seem to do this, and you can usually tell how frustrated the player is to be talking about something for the 1,000th time or to be asked something so basic or rudimentary that even the most cursory google search or research would have turned up a good - or even better - answer. IHT is just kind of these conversations that go places, and he doesn't do phoners. You're in the room with them. I really like that about it, and I really like that about the drummer interviews I read that take a similar approach. Rodge's interview with Vinnie got into some technical drum nerd stuff, but you got the sense that it was a conversation amongst friends that delved into some interesting - and intellectual - territory that had a deeper benefit, instead of a bunch of fanboy drum obsession subject matter (not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that either).

I think a drummer's personality is a huge part of what they do and how they go about it, and insights into that, even on levels and subjects peripheral to drums or even music is just kind of cool to hear, not to mention inspirational, cathartic in some cases, and for lack of a better word; human. We put these people on pedestals of greatness so much that sometimes it's good to hear they deal with human level shit, on the drums or otherwise.

So Steve, if you get the chance to do an interview, just start a conversation... I'm sure it will go to interesting places with you and Weckl just talking about whatever comes to mind.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:20 pm

The 2016 camp features five of the world's top drummers, including: Gregg Bissonette (Ringo Starr/David Lee Roth), Virgil Donati (Planet X/Independent), Mark Guiliana (David Bowie/Brad Mehldau), Antonio Sanchez (Pat Metheny/Birdman Soundtrack) and Dave Weckl (Chick Corea/Mike Stern).
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:27 pm

They should start making highlights DVDs of these things.

Return to “Drumming Chat”