OT: World Cup Chatty

Paul Marangoni

Re: OT: World Cup Chatty

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:50 pm

Julián Fernández wrote:They don´t need a Word Cup (which btw, is one month every 4 years)...

The World Cup is just one example. In the U.S. it's football, baseball, and basketball. In Canada it's hockey. Other countries it's football (soccer), cricket, rubgy, cycling, Jai alai, horse racing, or whatever. Why do you think Rome had the coliseum? Same shit, different century.
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:37 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:The World Cup is just one example. In the U.S. it's football, baseball, and basketball. In Canada it's hockey. Other countries it's football (soccer), cricket, rubgy, cycling, Jai alai, horse racing, or whatever. Why do you think Rome had the coliseum? Same shit, different century.

THANK YOU!!!!! +1

Mark P wrote:Are you a football fan, Przemek?

The fact that you remembered my name with the correct spelling freaked me out like hell, let me tell you... :shock:

I watch it socially, the big events that is. However, I don't think it's relevant to what I posted.
Mark P

Postby Mark P » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:31 am

The fact that you remembered my name with the correct spelling freaked me out like hell, let me tell you... :shock:

I watch it socially, the big events that is. However, I don't think it's relevant to what I posted.

Ha ha!
Well, what can I say... ;)

I'd argue it is utterly relevant given this is a thread about football?!

MP
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:58 am

Mark P wrote:

Ha ha!

MP

Being a footbal fan doesn't mean I'm disallowed from posting stuff uncovering FIFA's corruption

Mark P

Postby Mark P » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:28 pm

electrizer wrote:
Mark P wrote:

Ha ha!

MP

Being a footbal fan doesn't mean I'm disallowed from posting stuff uncovering FIFA's corruption

Hello mate,
I have never suggested you're disallowed from posting things "uncovering FIFA's corruption", have I? I think you may be looking for something that isn't there.

I just asked a terribly simple question relating to the title of the topic. That's all...

MP
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:50 pm

And you did get your answer, didn't you?

Over and out. This exchange is getting utterly pointless.
Matthijs Ament

Postby Matthijs Ament » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:38 am

Interesting points though. I'm not a sports-fan but I did like the mood of all these people from all over the world coming together. Brasil did a great job in hosting this event. And of course big money and governments/political pressure groups jump on the big stage to promote their agenda. But that is like an inevatable thing. The Roman emperors were doing these events to keep the masses in favour of themself. These national soccer teams are made up of fellow country men. So you can not buy your way into victory. That's why a midget country like mine could come as far as it did.
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:44 am

Matthijs Ament wrote:These national soccer teams are made up of fellow country men. So you can not buy your way into victory.

Would you be able to elaborate please?
Matthijs Ament

Postby Matthijs Ament » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:48 am

Sure.

The big international Clubs like Inter, Real, Bayern etc. can buy the best internationals. So if some super-rich arab or whomever buy's a soccer club or a government likes to sponsor a club [Paul is spot on there] they can win prizes. So, the team with the most money can buy the best staff and players. The money in the end comes from advertising. It's a circle. But with the World Cup you only have national [temporary] teams and you get to use only national athletes, you can not in this case 'buy' talent from another country.

Return to “Drumming Chat”