What do you guys do with your old heads?

Tom Reschke

What do you guys do with your old heads?

Postby Tom Reschke » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:50 am

I've got a bunch of used, to slightly used, to near mint condition heads, just collecting dust in my drum room. When I was younger, and money was tight, I'd never throw away old heads unless they were broken (and, even if they were, I'd cut out swatches of them to use as makeshift falam slams on my bass drum batter. Now, most new bass heads come with falam slams, or whatever else they're called, but I digress...), I'd hold on to them to use as backups if I broke whatever newer heads I was using on my drums. But now, I have some disposable income, and a sweet little artist deal with Evans, so I really don't need to hang on to the around 40 old heads of various sizes that I now have, but just throwing them away seems like a complete waste to me.
One idea I had was to give the coated ones to the wife and let her use them as a canvas for painting. Hell, the clear ones, too.
Another thought was to drop them off at a school and see if the music department would like to have them for backups (or, thanks to tight to no budgets, use them as their main heads).
Anyway, my point is is that I absolutely don't want to just toss them out, so...

What do you guys do?
Moderation's all well and good, just don't overdo it.
patdrums

Re: What do you guys do with your old heads?

Postby patdrums » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:59 am

I usually just trash them on a backstage trash can or give them to a stagehand. Lots of musicians in between gigs do stagehand work and usually drummers gravitate toward helping my tech set up and tear down. Sometimes I bring them home and use them for target practice with my crossbow or rifles. Donating them to a school music program is a great idea that I haven't thought of. I'm sure that budget tightening in music education would make them very appreciated. I'll have to look into it. Thanks.

Pat
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:57 am

Frisbee's, target's, give to students, etc.. that's the clear ones. For the white ones I'll clean them, then print on them and cut smaller circles for business cards, the yield is pretty low per head, but it's cool to have a drum head for a card, complete with mini remo logo at the top. Again the yield is very small, but for novelty it's cool.
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:12 am

I thought about using them as a form for making your own practice pads. I'm not sure what I'd fill it with though; silicone or rubber perhaps.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:25 am

Place under potted plant to catch extra water and/or prevent water damage from leakage.
funkydrummer

Postby funkydrummer » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:33 pm

I usually either take the ones that are in particularly good condition and save them for spares (usually one for each drum on the kit), or I hang on to them and use them on the practice kit in the band studio.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:27 pm

Take the clear ones, forge signatures of famous drummers, sell them on eBay.

Seriously, who buys those things, and how are you going to get it verified as "authentic?" If you had access to the latter you wouldn't need the former.

But I digress.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:37 pm

Gaddabout wrote:Take the clear ones, forge signatures of famous drummers, sell them on eBay.

Seriously, who buys those things, and how are you going to get it verified as "authentic?" If you had access to the latter you wouldn't need the former.

But I digress.

...that's genius! What's that phrase? There's a sucker born every minute.

Remember people actually bought Pet Rocks.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:37 pm

YamahaPlayer wrote:Remember people actually bought Pet Rocks.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/cubegoodies/c208/
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:56 pm

HAha now that is funny. Amazing what people will buy.

Return to “Drumming Chat”