Unusual On-Stage Injuries

GoAndPractice

Unusual On-Stage Injuries

Postby GoAndPractice » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:30 pm

I just read an interesting interview with Kenny Aronoff on a broken stick incident. Reminded me of another Youtube video I saw of a similar happening.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/drums/kenny-aronoff-my-best-and-worst-gigs-ever-602963/2

Last edited by GoAndPractice on Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Richman

Re: Unusual On-Stage Injuries

Postby Jim Richman » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:02 pm

I was reading this post and was like--I need to find that stick in the face clip. Then I scrolled down. LOL
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:56 am

LOL I just figured if I admitted I injured my hand playing a gig, everyone would accuse me of being a chronic masturbator.

And Kenny Aronoff's story is just bizarre, much like his drumming...
Last edited by gretsch-o-rama on Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Matthijs Ament

Postby Matthijs Ament » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:04 pm

Oh man, there is a lot of that. From the top of my head: When I was working as a stage manager a coworker of mine threw a Steinway A grand piano [almost 400 kilos] on the first row during a changement in Rotterdam. It fell just short of the audience thank god, nobody got hurt. In the Amsterdam Concertgebouw at one time during TV recordings a violin player fell due some loose cables, smashing a Stradivarius [the instrument was shattered but some violin builder somehow glued the whole thing together later on]. I know a classical percussion player who suffered some serious neck injuries when a piece of decor during Aïda was pulled up and somehow hit him in the face when he was sitting meters above the stage in a Sphinx. I saw a roady one time who almost broke his own back by lifting an empty flight case that was supposed to be really heavy. He threw the thing way high in the air. I've seen a light-tech who was hit by rigging that came down on one corner, luckily most fell behind him and he was only hit by some PAR 500. A friend of mine stepped away from his kit after soundcheck and fell 2 meters down an open hatchway leaving his left hand injured. I know a guitarist who became deaf on one ear instantly when something in his amplifier went wrong while he was sitting in front of his speaker cabinet, that was end of career.
Rene

Postby Rene » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:48 pm

Matthijs Ament wrote: I know a classical percussion player who suffered some serious neck injuries when a piece of decor during Aïda was pulled up and somehow hit him in the face when he was sitting meters above the stage in a Sphinx.

Jan Hendrik Hootsen?

I injured my self after hitting the rim with a brush. One wire broke and flew directly into my nose. My nose was bleeding like hell.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:36 pm

During soundcheck a piece of a Par 500 fell from 20 feet right into the neck of the guitar the guitar player had hung. Luckily he was not playing it; he would received the shock right on his hand. Luck, luck, luck.

Return to “Drumming Chat”