New Years Eve gigs anyone?

willyz

New Years Eve gigs anyone?

Postby willyz » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:12 am

I'll be playing tonight on the roof of the Blind Pig in downtown Austin with some great guys in a fun band, kind of a Dave Matthews pop/rock/jam band sort of vibe. Should be a lot of fun!

The only thing left to figure out is how we're going to get everything OFF the stage, downstairs into our van. We're going to play it by ear to see if it's best to tear down before the new year or after... ethier way, it's going to be a pain.

Anyway, who's gigging tonight?

Happy New Year, happy gigging, and be safe, chaps! Cheers!
Got Blushda?
robhaerr

Re: New Years Eve gigs anyone?

Postby robhaerr » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:56 am

Nice, Willy...another for the hauling gear stories!

We are playing for the 2nd year at a private RV campground New Year's Eve. It's a wide age range of people. The lady who has hired us says she loves us because "nobody complains". She says we seem to please all the different tastes and everyone enjoys themselves. People as old as 80 or so...mostly middle-aged...and a few down into their 20s.

We have done their outdoor summer concert series, too...the RV crowd can be a fun bunch...here's some photos from a summer concert...
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?fbid= ... aid=255667

Not easy...but very satisfying. Great money, too...but we earn every penny at this drunk-fest. We purposely do fast-paced, song-to-song sets so people don't have time to request anything. Later in the night gets more challenging with the drunks...long gig, too...8:30-1:30.

I hope to have some video footage...this is my first chance to record with the Zoom Q3 HD. Our keyboard player bought one, too...looking forward to seeing the results. I am more worried about how to get good shots without having cameramen more than playing the gig right now. You know...using this tool to evaluate my playing versus promo video for the band. We each should have one so we could have 4 of them filming from different spots.

Web site of the campground...luckily the weather will be awesome...but there will be snow on the ground after the storms here and cold between Los Angeles and Palm Springs at some elevation...
http://www.silentvalleyclub.com/html/

Happy New Year...have a safe night everyone.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:03 am

..oooh on the roof!! We better see some video of that!

This year I decided not to play any new years gigs, I have the past so many years, just decided to party myself and kick it with my girl this year.
drumsrdrugs

Postby drumsrdrugs » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:59 am

Sweet guys! Rob, you just reminded me to bring my Zoom Q3 (not HD) to the show tonight. It's gonna be a long one too 7pm - 1am. I'm playing this swanky supper club in downtown LA called First & Hope. Piano trio backing up a great vocalist named Brenna Whitaker. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNbEefmBsjw I'm gonna have to watch the whiskey drinking tonight!

This gig totally kicks my ass. Lots of reading, brushes, some up tempos, some trading 4/8/12, and generally some really burning players in the band. I have no clue why I keep getting called back. I'm genuinely surprised since I don't have the hands for the up tempo tunes, and my solo ideas are corny and limited. Pretty much most nights I play with these guys I'm thinking.... a)howthef***amIhere b)thepianoplayerhates me. lol. QUE LASTIMA!!
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:27 am

House of Blues on Sunset playing 70s rock.
Roy Cameron

Postby Roy Cameron » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:03 pm

This is my first NYE off in 12 years and I'm not complaining!
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:28 pm

Only gig this year is with my homemade egg nog and 14 friends. Here's the recipe courtesy of my buddy's grandma for those looking to throw down -- definitely a designated driver recipe. Now that you've been warned:

-------

12 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
2 cup milk
3 cup whiskey (blended whiskey, better quality makes better nog)
1 cup light rum
1/4 cup apricot brandy
2 cup milk
2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar

Beat the egg YOLKS. Mix in 1 c. sugar and 2 c. milk.
Add the whiskey, rum and brandy and stir well. (The theory is this
sanitizes the raw egg yolks.)
Mix in two more c. milk.

Whip two cups heavy cream until stiff. Fold into the mixture.

Add 1/2 c. sugar to the egg WHITES and whip till it holds peaks.

Fold the egg whites into the mixture.

Serve with freshly grated nutmeg for them as wants it.

-------

Note that this makes a giant punch bowl's worth, in most scenarios halving the ingredients is *plenty*.

Happy New Year, HoD!
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:45 pm

some bar in philly. hope it's packed. want to make some good scratch.
Tom Reschke

Postby Tom Reschke » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:47 pm

I played New Years gigs for about 11 years straight, and always lamented not being able to enjoy it like a "regular" person. Then, I had my first year off, and found that I really don't enjoy being a normal party-goer on New Years. Not only do you feel pressure to make sure that you have fun that night, but not making the New Years Eve dough is awful. I used to be able to make 2 months rent on one night! Anyway, tonight I am off, so the wife and I'll probably go downtown to see some music, watch the big guitar drop (it's pretty lame), and end up eating some nasty burritos at three in the morning to sober up. Merry Christmas.
Moderation's all well and good, just don't overdo it.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:58 pm

lol. I eat 2-3 raw egg yolks every day without the boose. My cat gets some, too. So far so good.

Just having dinner and playing board games with my family before I drive home early tomorrow morning.

Return to “Drumming Chat”