OT: Robin Williams Dead

amoergosum

Re: OT: Robin Williams Dead

Postby amoergosum » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:29 am

Norm Macdonald on Twitter:

"It was my first stand-up appearance on Letterman and I had to follow the funniest man in the world. I was a punk kid from rural Ontario and I was in my dressing room, terrified. I was on the phone to a friend back home when the funniest man in the world ambled by. There was no one else on the floor. In shock, I told my friend who just walked by. Only the funniest man in the world. I guess he heard me say his name, cause in an instant he was at my side. He was a jewish tailor, taking my measurements. He went down on his knees, asked which way I dressed. I told my friend on the phone that the funniest man in the world was on his knees before me, measuring my inseam. My friend didn't believe me so I said, "Could you talk to my friend, sir. The funniest man in the world took the phone and for ten minutes took my friend's chinese food order. I laughed and laughed and it was like I was in a dream because no one else was there. No one. The place was out of Moo Shoo Pork, and there was nothing he could do about it. He angrily hung up on my friend and I was about to thank him when he said I hadn't even tried the jacket on. Then the funniest man on earth dressed me, a complete stranger, and i remember he ended with a windsor knot. He spoke mostly yiddish, but when he finished he was happy with his job and turned me to a mirror to present myself to me. No one witnessed any of this. No one. The funniest man alive was in my dressing room a good half-hour and was far funnier than the set I had to do soon. ll of a sudden it was, had to. When he left my dressing room, I felt alone. As alone as I ever remember feeling. Until today. Unacceptable."
willyz

Postby willyz » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:33 am

Really tragic, sad stuff.

I certainly grew up on a lot of his films, and as I got older dug deeper into the stand-up stuff too.

All the tributes (just as Norm Macdonads above) from the comedy world have just been extremely moving.
Got Blushda?
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:32 am

With every one of those precious little clips you realise more and more painfully whom we've lost...

amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:03 pm

amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:54 am

bclarkio

Postby bclarkio » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:25 am

I've been working night shifts on the San Francisco waterfront on and off for going on 24 years now.

About 15 years ago, I was working at Fort Mason, on the third floor, overlooking Greens restaurant.

Around midnight, I hear a knocking on the back door, to the fire escape.

It's Robin Williams!

He says, "I need to use the bathroom!"

I point him to the rest room down the hall, and that was that.

It was unusual, not just because of who it was.

There's nothing going on out there at that time of night.

And, no one else ever knocked on the back door looking to use the rest room.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:58 pm

Robin's early standup stuff on HBO really reached me when I was young. I made cassettes of it and would just listen. He was hysterical.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:58 am

Joesmechanic

Postby Joesmechanic » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:55 pm

Everyone's said everything I would have. Just an amazing but suffering mind. I played his "Reality what a concept" album till I wore it out.

So then I'm listening to some radio talk shows & then hear some people making some really disparaging comments about his death. And then you get disgusting individuals like Rush Limbaugh who say things like this.
www.salon.com/2014/08/14/rush_limbaugh_ ... s_comment/

But then you get GREAT guys (and a hell of a comedian) standing up for Robin & saying this!
www.salon.com/2014/08/15/lewis_black_sl ... isgust_me/

Return to “Drumming Chat”