Best HD Video and Audio Recorder for under $500

Steve Michaud

Best HD Video and Audio Recorder for under $500

Postby Steve Michaud » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:03 am

Hi Guys,

I was looking to buy an HD video camera for under $500 in order to get out of the Stone Age and start generating some online video content. I would love to hear your recommendations on the best camera for the money. To get the discussion rolling, one camera I found was this: http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i- ... 7AodPVQAHQ

Any other suggestions? What have your experiences been? Can you give samples?

Thanks!

Steve Michaud
gretsch-o-rama

Re: Best HD Video and Audio Recorder for under $500

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:09 am

Don't have much to offer than that seems like a good deal...I paid 100 for the original (non-HD) q3 a year ago...guess that wasn't great. lol
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:04 am

The Zoom products record very nice audio quality, but the video quality is generally horrible (compared to good video cameras). For all-in-one, and under $500, you're best bet is probably the Zoom, or the Canon Vixia Mini-X. The Zoom will have better audio out of the box, but the Canon will have better video. You may be able to use an external mic with the Canon too, not sure.

There's also the new Sony POV HD Camcorder, but it's really designed more for strapping to your helmet and jumping off of skyscrapers etc., like the GoPro stuff.

If you can record audio separately from video and then combine the two with software, I would recommend the Canon PowerShot S100 camera which shoots great video.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:17 am

I would go with something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-Rebel ... 1173441818
Bulky? Yes. But way beyond any other prosumer cam possibilities...
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:23 am

http://store.sony.ca/full-hd-camcorder- ... 3Dcategory

Great Go Pro quality video plus Zoom Q4 quality audio..

Has a low light function and can handle loud audio well.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:48 am

Julián Fernández wrote:I would go with something like this: Canon-EOS-Rebel-T5i-DSLR-Camera-with-EF-S-18-55mm
Bulky? Yes. But way beyond any other prosumer cam possibilities...

Nice video quality, but expensive, and poor audio. You would need a separate audio recorder.

chris perra wrote: Sony HDRMV1
Great Go Pro quality video

It may be "Go Pro" quality, but it's not "good" quality. I checked one out a few months back and was unimpressed. Audio is decent though.
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:22 am

Steve,

I have a Zoom Q3 HD, and I have heard all of the knocks against it (audio, video etc.) But in my experience, I have not seen or heard any of it. Here are a bunch of videos that I have posted on my youtube page, all done with a Zoom, just plugged in, aimed, and hit record.

On the poorly aimed drum cam, my RH crash is too close to the Zoom, and the audio that you are hearing is from my monitor on my left. But other than that (besides the poor am of the camera) I have no complaints.

https://www.youtube.com/user/nomsgmusic/videos

Granted it's not "studio" quality, but it's FAR from "horrible." And much better than iPhone vids. And the fact that it has an aux in (which I use at home, but NOT on either of these vids) makes it very handy at home. I'm no expert, but I dig the Zoom.

If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask.

MSG
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
Steve Michaud

Postby Steve Michaud » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:14 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Nonsmog--I thought the audio sounded nice (video seemed to lack some sharpness, maybe?) In short, I'm seeing the truth of what Paul was saying--i.e., audio better than the video. For under $500, it seems like one is facing the decision as to which of those factors is most important. For capturing music, better audio trumps all else, so I am seriously considering the zoom at this point. Two more questions would be these: (1) Do they even make the Zoom Q3 HD anymore? All I'm finding on Amazon is the Q4. (2) Has the Q4 introduced substantial improvement over the Q3?

Thanks again!

Steve Michaud
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:25 pm

Hey Steve -- big fan of yours, cool to see you around HoD.

I've been quite happy with the video quality of my GoPro Hero 3, but yeah, you have to record audio separately. If you're not setup to post-sync audio and video, then from what I've heard the Zoom is the way to go for best audio + video right out of the box.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:56 pm

cool vid. check out the end of the video where he explains a groove on a tune. think it's off of one of steve hunts cds. killer groove. love the album blown fuse.

now we can look forward to more incredible playing by Mr. Michaud.

Return to “Drumming Chat”