Holdsworth Haslip Husband

Kurtis

Re: Holdsworth Haslip Husband

Postby Kurtis » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:32 pm

Tony and Gary sound good with black dots. Why? Cause they hit hard and get "that" sound.
langmick

Postby langmick » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:27 pm

What Gary can do with minimal notes, albeit with maximum effort and commitment, is what makes his playing amazing to me. That is the highest expression of intellectual expression. Whittling down the alternatives to the best and moat creative part.

It just takes a few notes. I tune out when I hear a ton of notes. Melody and accompaniment.

Could be that playing the piano at a high level helps. I think it must.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:34 pm

^^ Probably this...
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:44 pm

I might be a little late here, (sorry, I've been swamped!) I saw this trio twice last week, and was FLOORED! Gary and I got some time (actually too much time!) to hang and do an interview, and I actually got some nice time time to chat with Maestro Holdsworth, and Jimmy who sounds GREAT on this gig!

Anyone who passes on seeing this trio is nuts, it's as good as it gets!!!! Gary and Allan have a wonderful musical chemistry, sort of like a modern day Elvin and Trane. One of the nights that I went, most of the guys from King Crimson were there. I was sitting right next to them, and they were all laughing and shaking their heads in the wonderfulness of the moment that this trio plays in (as was I.) Of course the club was filled with talented guitarists, but everyone that I talked to was just as "floored" by Gary.

I have to also recommend his most recent "Dirty and Beautiful Vol 2" I like it more even than the first. Lots of beauty and first class dirt!

"Secrets" and "IOU"... I love them both, I hate comparing recordings. But to me, it always sounded like Vinnie was doing his best Gary Husband on "Secrets." (ha!) Which is a compliment to all involved! It's just so primal, on the edge, musical conversation of the highest order. And that is exactly how I describe Gary's playing in this context as well. And after seeing THIS trio live, all of those descriptives are even MORE true than ever: Primal, on the edge, musical conversation of the highest order.

If they come close to your area... Run, don't walk, and go and see them. You won't be sorry!
I will let you all know when and where the interview is published! We had a ball doing it!
MSG
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:54 pm

gretsch-o-rama wrote:I've read VC say that the Gretsch drums will "live" with any head...maybe he doesn't dare tread on the blackdots. haha

Yes, he laughed at me when I told him I put black dots on top and bottom. I actually only tried it on my 12" tom, and I had it REALLY tight (Tony style) and it was pretty dead sounding (in a small rehearsal room) so I returned all the other heads before mounting them. I think it may have been better at a bit lower tension. Tony's highest tom was a 13". Gary's toms were 12" and 13", but he didn't tune them as tight as Tony (although they were still "up there").

If I try it again, I'm going to try it with white dots or clear dots, and not go so tight.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:41 pm

Vinnie was doing his Gary Husband vibe on secrets! I don't think so. Vinnie was doing HIS thing on that album. Vinnie got his trad grip going on in the mid to late 80's. His creativity and chops back then was at a very high level of awesomeness. And to this day and the rest of time nothing will touch Secrets. That album is beyond awesome. I have one Alan Holdsworth album.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:36 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:
gretsch-o-rama wrote:I've read VC say that the Gretsch drums will "live" with any head...maybe he doesn't dare tread on the blackdots. haha

Yes, he laughed at me when I told him I put black dots on top and bottom. I actually only tried it on my 12" tom, and I had it REALLY tight (Tony style) and it was pretty dead sounding (in a small rehearsal room) so I returned all the other heads before mounting them. I think it may have been better at a bit lower tension. Tony's highest tom was a 13". Gary's toms were 12" and 13", but he didn't tune them as tight as Tony (although they were still "up there").

If I try it again, I'm going to try it with white dots or clear dots, and not go so tight.

I think Tony gave off the impression that his drums were super tight(and they were) because of how he tuned them...Basically, the Stewart Copeland method of very tight batter with a lower reso...lol That's that exact opposite of how I tune my drums. lol I tune mine for tone, not projection...:-)
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Niles

Postby Niles » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:44 am

Gary Husband wrote:Thanks for the nice words guys.

Couple more new clips from us I just noticed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbgpYtyzPAU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPL6FBdZF9I

Was good to play with Allan again, and Jimmy on this nice little East side run, plus Chicago, where we finish our US shows for this time tonight. To Japan tomorrow, then S. Korea.

Best to all, peace,

GH

OMG sounding great Gary ! Thanks for posting, and for all your great playing over the years. Please thank Allan and Jimmy for us, for the same - all three of you guys have been a big influence over the years!
sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:02 am

I have all Allan records and I'm w/ Kurtis on Secrets...friggin scary drumming right there...scary like some of shut up n' play yer guitar shit is too....different than Gary's rawness & power
Gary is great...Love I.O.U

I saw them most recently w/ Virg and I gotta say Haslip drew most of my attention...he was bigger than life monster that night
When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
Yussuf

Postby Yussuf » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:20 pm

Sounds great!

Gary is always an inspiration. The commitment and power he brings to the table is what makes him stand out. Has that magic going on like Tony. Without a question the best drummer A. Holdsworth ever had.

Return to “Drumming Chat”