Shure Beta 52a + Beta 91a for kick micing

Matus

Re: Shure Beta 52a + Beta 91a for kick micing

Postby Matus » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:54 pm

Every time something like this arises I keep thinking "what would Glyn Johns say about this?"
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
Rhythmatist

Postby Rhythmatist » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:39 pm

Matus wrote:Every time something like this arises I keep thinking "what would Glyn Johns say about this?"

Funny you should mention him...we discussed his method on several occasions but honestly just haven't had the balls to try it. Maybe we can give it a shot on some future date just to see what happens. He recorded a lot of stellar drum tracks like that. But man, talk about critical mic placement...you have to make sure you measure the distances and angles just right.
Matus

Postby Matus » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:14 pm

We used it on Shrek the musical plus an extra mic for the second floor tom (reduced space in the booth resulted in it being out of axis). It was spectacular. I recall Billy Ward being recorded like that in some clips he posted here and it just sounds huge. Not for metal, maybe, but as an alternative for common overheads.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
Mark P

Postby Mark P » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:11 pm

Just thought I would share this with you since there was a topic on micing already open.

I just finished two days of sessions with producer Peter Vettese, (his production and playing credits are pretty incredible - http://www.allmusic.com/artist/peter-jo ... 96/credits) at Rockfield studios in Wales (where among other legendary things, Queen recorded Bohemian Rhapsody).

On one song we had five microphones on the bass drum. I managed to grab this snap before one take, when we had five microphones on the snare too! When I get some audio back from the record, I'll post it!

Needless to say it sounded pretty incredible!

MP

Return to “Drumming Chat”