The Tick Tock Effect

Old Pit Guy

Re: The Tick Tock Effect

Postby Old Pit Guy » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:01 am

john lamb wrote:

BTW - when I listen closely to the ticking in the video, I don't hear the ticking n the video as alternating between two sounds.

Yeah, of course YOU don't hear Tick-Tock in your own video. But you DO hear tick and tock when it's a single electronic tone in the metronome I linked to. Sweet Jesus.

This would be funny except it's sad at this point. I think we're way past done with your theoretical clock that makes only one sound, but not a tick tock. Except in your own video that depends on it "actually" sounding like Tick Tock to make the case that it's not "actually" Tick tock, but rather tick tick with no tock. But not a solid tone, because that sorta sounds like Tick-tock too.

Good luck with the book. Tell the library 792.2
john lamb

Postby john lamb » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:52 pm

Except in your own video that depends on it "actually" sounding like Tick Tock to make the case

It doesn't. The tick tock effect will stand or fall no matter what I say about it. Science is like that. I get it you don't like the ticking in the video. Fair enough, point taken. Nothing I can do about it now, but I disagree when you say it is misleading. I appreciate your feedback, but respectfully disagree. If everyone gave me the same feedback I'd change it, but they don't.

And you said that if I provided proof that it doesn't then "I might have something". I provided such proof, and now we are somehow back to the particular tick-tock sound in the particular video. You seem to discard the proof saying that because they used the passive voice, it must me incorrect. I offered to provide a peer reviewed journal for your perusing pleasure, and now you are pinning your case on the particular tick-tock sound in the video, which is entirely beside the point, as far as the validity of the tick tock effect goes. I'll ask again, though.... Is there any proof I could provide to sway your opinion?

165.0 ... The entire section is funnier and sadder at the same time.

YOU don't hear Tick-Tock

I don't mean to be frustrating., but I can hear a tick tock, or not, in each of the examples. Just because I said that the there wasn't an actual tick-tock doesn't mean I can't hear one. In fact, that would kinda go counter to my whole position. In each case, you asked a question. In the single tone, you asked if I heard a tick tock. I did. In my video, you asked if it was a single tick. I answered. No inconsistency here - just responding to the question at hand. It is yes to all of them. :) Any listener can make up their own mind about whether the ticking in the video is, in reality a tick or a tick tock (Or, as it seems to me, something in between. Not a dual tone back-and-forth tick tock, but something that sounds like there is some 'play' in the system somewhat randomizing each actual tick sound...)

But not a solid tone, because that sorta sounds like Tick-tock too.
Kinda lost me here. Not entirely sure what you are saying.
Check out my books:
Anatomy of Drumming
A Matter Of Time
Strt Playng Drums
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:54 pm

You guys are running out of time. One tick and one tock at a time.

Who's gonna give? Because time is all you have.
bclarkio

Postby bclarkio » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:41 pm

I heard both when listening to the online metronome, tick tock and identical, depending on what I was listening for (expecting).

I think this explains the variances I hear at work, when I often run clave at various speeds in the background.

It seems like some of the notes are pitched slightly different, but their placement within the loop seems to vary.

Just now, I listened for both, and It's easier to hear them as different than identical.

Since it was recorded from a person, not a machine, I suppose they could actually be different, by striking them at different spots, or varying the size of the resonant chamber that the holding hand supplies.

The other side of the coin can be true for me, also: sometimes when listening to tamborim I hear indentical notes because I forgot that they can be intentionally varied, and then when I remember, and listen again, I hear the differences.
bclarkio

Postby bclarkio » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:01 am

...as I listen more, to the clock here at work, and the clave, it occurs to me that slight differences in volume can be perceived as differences in pitch.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:43 am

Kurtis wrote:You guys are running out of time. One tick and one tock at a time.

Who's gonna give? Because time is all you have.

It's OK. I've requested a refund on Time because all the clocks I've used in my life were fooling me into thinking they were marking time, when in "actuality" they were the bed track for a book. And I've learned that my ears are in on this too.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:57 am

john lamb wrote: I get it you don't like the ticking in the video. Fair enough, point taken. Nothing I can do about it now, but I disagree when you say it is misleading.

Stop dancing long enough to read this one final time.

You:

0:05 While we often hear tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock, in actuality every tick is identical.
0:12 Why do we hear two different [sounds] when really there is only one?

Me:

The sound in the video is of a clock making two sounds. That makes the video every bit of misleading.
john lamb

Postby john lamb » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:51 am

There AREN'T 2 different sounds in the video, at leas, not in the way you are alleging. The tick tock effect is still in effect in the video, and the example isn't misleading. It is leading.

If people didn't hear 2 sounds with a steady clicking, then it would lead them away from the truth.But since they do, the ticking in the video just becomes a good example of what really happens.

I suppose we could solve this by throwing it into ProTools and looking at the waveforms. (Back to the 792.2 section of the library lol) ... But ... is there ANY proof that you will accept?
Last edited by john lamb on Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my books:
Anatomy of Drumming
A Matter Of Time
Strt Playng Drums
john lamb

Postby john lamb » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:56 am

bclarkio wrote:The other side of the coin can be true for me, also: sometimes when listening to tamborim I hear indentical notes because I forgot that they can be intentionally varied, and then when I remember, and listen again, I hear the differences.

The intentional variation is something that I think the Tick Tock Effect implies is a good thing. With a steady stream of identical notes, half will hear tick tock and the other half will hear tock tick. Through modulating (whether subtle or not) the tones, you can control what people hear and how they feel it.
Check out my books:
Anatomy of Drumming
A Matter Of Time
Strt Playng Drums
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:37 pm

john lamb wrote:There AREN'T 2 different sounds in the video, at leas, not in the way you are alleging. The tick tock effect is still in effect in the video, and the example isn't misleading. It is leading.

If people didn't hear 2 sounds with a steady clicking, then it would lead them away from the truth.But since they do, the ticking in the video just becomes a good example of what really happens.

I suppose we could solve this by throwing it into ProTools and looking at the waveforms. (Back to the 792.2 section of the library lol) ... But ... is there ANY proof that you will accept?

I don't know what in the hell "the way you are alleging" is supposed to mean. Two. Sounds. Can it be any clearer?

Just prove to me, and anyone reading, that the clock sound accompanying the voiceover claiming that we hear two sounds from a clock that is only "actually" making one sound IS. ONLY. MAKING. ONE. SOUND. That clock sound. In your video. Two sounds. But. really. only. one. Prove. It. The. clock. In. Your. Video. One sound. Or. Two.

Or accept that rational people may think the basis for your book is bunk.

Return to “Drumming Chat”