The Tick Tock Effect

Avi_drums

Re: The Tick Tock Effect

Postby Avi_drums » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:32 pm

Old Pit Guy wrote:
john lamb wrote:There AREN'T 2 different sounds in the video, at leas, not in the way you are alleging. The tick tock effect is still in effect in the video, and the example isn't misleading. It is leading.

If people didn't hear 2 sounds with a steady clicking, then it would lead them away from the truth.But since they do, the ticking in the video just becomes a good example of what really happens.

I suppose we could solve this by throwing it into ProTools and looking at the waveforms. (Back to the 792.2 section of the library lol) ... But ... is there ANY proof that you will accept?

I don't know what in the hell "the way you are alleging" is supposed to mean. Two. Sounds. Can it be any clearer?

Just prove to me, and anyone reading, that the clock sound accompanying the voiceover claiming that we hear two sounds from a clock that is only "actually" making one sound IS. ONLY. MAKING. ONE. SOUND. That clock sound. In your video. Two sounds. But. really. only. one. Prove. It. The. clock. In. Your. Video. One sound. Or. Two.

Or accept that rational people may think the basis for your book is bunk.

john lamb

Re: The Tick Tock Effect

Postby john lamb » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:19 pm

IS. ONLY. MAKING. ONE. SOUND.

I understand clearly already. You don't need to yell.

Prove. It. The. clock. In. Your. Video. One sound. Or. Two.

Sure - I even suggested methods to do so .. however, earlier you asked me to prove something by providing a specific form of evidence. I provided said evidence, and you dismissed it ... Even though it is exactly the sort of proof you asked for. So, it is reasonable for me to ask in what form do you want the proof to be in? I'd just as soon not bother proving the ticks are identical if you wont accept such proof. So.... what proof would you accept?

Two. Sounds. Can it be any clearer?
[/quote]
Yes, it could. Grab the nearest copy of Stick Control. Imagine the R notes are one sound, and the L notes are a different sound. Each entry are different ways that two tones can sound. A tick tock would be either #1 or #2, but none of the rest. I don't hear either #1 or #2. I do not hear alternating strokes between a tick and a tock. Furthermore, I hear more than 2 sounds, as if the striker was made with a low tolerance. By this I mean that there is inconsistency in the way the ticks are made, meaning the ticks do not sound identical to each other, but there are not two consistent, alternating ticks - as you are alleging.

Again, I don't mean to be frustrating. I simply disagree with your assessment. I understand clearly what you are saying. We can agree to disagree. If there isn't any proof that you'd accept, then that's what we'll have to do. For example, if you took the sound track and showed me that every other waveform were identical, but adjacent waveforms were not, then I'd accept that there are indeed alternating ticks.

Even so, I would not accept that it invalidates the Tick Tock Effect in any way, shape or form. The best you could do is to demonstrate that the Tick Tock Effect is poorly named, not that it doesn't work.
My interpretation of the evidence is that the simplest explanation is that they brain synchronization causes the Tick Tock Effect. Your interpretation is that we hear the tick tock because we were told to hear a tick tock because once upon a time we did, and now we can't get rid of actually hearing a tick tock even though one doesn't exist in most modern clocks. That we can go back and forth between hearing one and not hearing one is explained by.... (I'm actually unclear on this. please fill me in)
Check out my books:
Anatomy of Drumming
A Matter Of Time
Strt Playng Drums

Return to “Drumming Chat”