Self publishing my book

drumdawg

Self publishing my book

Postby drumdawg » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:24 pm

Hey all, hope this finds you all well. Been writing a book since 1912 :) and am finally ready to move forward and release it by X-mas. I have interests from the usual suspects of publishing companies but would rather release it independently. Have any of you found a good company (or bad) that you could share your experience or opinion. Do any of you know of others who have been my situation and could possibly connect me with them. I will be starting a kickstarter soon to help with the promotional and recording costs for the audio/video and would love some feedback on that too. I've come to this forum for years and know that many of you have are very knowledgeable in this field and I thank you in advanced.
Peace, Sammy J
Mark P

Re: Self publishing my book

Postby Mark P » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:05 pm

Sammy!
I'm afraid I have absolutely no knowledge about this stuff, but I'm so happy for you it's come to fruition!
You've got some fantastic ideas and are a killer player, so its about time the world knew!

Best of luck!

MP
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:44 pm

Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:35 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:http://www.amazon.com/gp/seller-account/mm-summary-page.html/ref=az_us_soa_serp_lnselfpubT?topic=200260520&ld=AZSelfPublishMakeMT

Yes, and what a tangled web it is. Talk about your classic blessing and curse. I'm all for it with the caveat that scholarly nonfiction should be excluded else anyone can hang a shingle. There's no need for a publisher to accept a work, and that removes the normally inherent incentive of absolute truthiness, as does lack of peer review.
Add Amazon's "house review" system, where guys line up to receive free goods for reviewing it -- and most of these hacks give 5 stars as a rule -- to the mix, then sprinkle on all of their friends and friends of friends reviewing the book … ugh. It's intellectual suicide. It's Facebook does grad school. And all for the sake of Amazon skimming dollars.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:57 am

Old Pit Guy wrote:Yes, and what a tangled web it is. Talk about your classic blessing and curse.

Yes. Pretty much the same as musicians releasing their own music though, isn't it? Without the "gatekeepers", we're being flooded with mediocrity.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:58 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:
Old Pit Guy wrote:Yes, and what a tangled web it is. Talk about your classic blessing and curse.

Yes. Pretty much the same as musicians releasing their own music though, isn't it? Without the "gatekeepers", we're being flooded with mediocrity.

There's definitely a similarity.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:14 am

I'm excited for the book, lots of killing ideas from what I've seen Sammy!!
Will Andrews

Postby Will Andrews » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:22 pm

I'm stoked to check it out as well. Sammy J is a bad mofo
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:01 pm

Some buddies of mine started a company whose first product streamlines the process of publishing eBooks to the 3 major stores (iBooks, Amazon, and Nook). I'm plugging it not just because they're friends, but because it's really good:

http://180g.co/vellum/

Check it out, it may be up your alley for what you're trying to accomplish.
drumdawg

Postby drumdawg » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:16 pm

well, sounds if the obvious amazon is not the right home and i need to do more research on vellum. any other thoughts. do any of you know of any successful peeps who's done the indi route? again, thanks for your time.
sjw

Return to “Drumming Chat”