Gregg Bissonette

gretsch-o-rama

Re: Gregg Bissonette

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:59 pm

Gregg's a great live drummer, IMO...
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Cymbalfeltfetishist

Postby Cymbalfeltfetishist » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:05 pm

I wonder sometimes why people feel compelled to say negative stuff about someone like Greg with Greg's stature. I mean, I guess I tend to like more "stylized" drummers - drummer's that have their own voice on their instrument ....and not studio drummers that are more chameleons....but god, Greg has played with really well-know and big name artists. I guess they all think he sucks? He didn't derserve to be at the BRMC? Really? Poor Greg. He was thrown in with WeckGaddVinDennis. Can't win for losing.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:30 pm

People can have opinions on whether or not they care for Gregg's style at all...and that doesn't have to reflect on how people may feel about him as a person. I personally don't care for his style too much as I feel it's a bit antiquated, and that has no bearing on him as a person.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:36 pm

Tony Williams' sole criterion for whether a person could critique another person was talent - not age, not experience, just talent. One time, when someone told Tony he was a great drummer, Tony replied, "You're not good enough to make that judgment." Then the person said "Well, I enjoyed your performance." To which Tony replied, "That, you can say."
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:26 pm

Then what about the fact that talent is subjective, just like opinions? There has to be something tangible to measure to say, yeah that person has talent, or no, that person is not talented...Then to Tony Williams, what was that unit of measurement? Volume? Speed? I actually think Tony, even for as artistic as he was, was into all of these things...And for me, that doesn't take away from the legend that he was/is. He was maybe the most important drummer in the history of American music. Did that put him above wanting to play fast and loud? No, IMO...

My whole problem with this argument, is that most of us(drummers), can't separate a great drummer from the person they are... Drumming is just something the greats do, no matter how much they do it or make from it. Although, one could say that them being a great drummer is most certainly the bi-product from them being a great person. I really don't think the Masters see themselves as one dimensional super drummers. I would say the fact they aren't, is why they got into the positions they are in today. :-)
littlegrooves

Postby littlegrooves » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:16 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:Tony Williams' sole criterion for whether a person could critique another person was talent - not age, not experience, just talent. One time, when someone told Tony he was a great drummer, Tony replied, "You're not good enough to make that judgment." Then the person said "Well, I enjoyed your performance." To which Tony replied, "That, you can say."

Per Tony's criteria, I'm fully qualified as a someone who excels at being fulla shit to sniff out others of similar ilk, and therefore will critique Tony's statement.

I conclude that Tony's fulla shit.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:24 pm

To deny the competitive nature of what we do, would be not to understand the heritage and tradition of drums and percussion...
littlegrooves

Postby littlegrooves » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:36 pm

gretsch-o-rama wrote:To deny the competitive nature of what we do, would be not to understand the heritage and tradition of drums and percussion...

More generally...

To deny the competitive nature of what we do, would be not to understand the heritage and tradition of life ...
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:11 pm

One of the nicest people on the planet...he has his own voice and works because he delivers.
If you watch a video of JR compared to say Jojo, you might think, "Really...most recorded drummer?"
There lies the rub...it's up to each person to understand why JR is JR. Same with Greg.

Love GB's playing w/ELO. Nailed that gig. This is what he does best. Played on a friend's new record
recently and perfect drumming for the songs. Who wouldn't want to hang with this guy? This part
of the biz overlooked...the hang factor!

Last edited by Pocketplayer on Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
littlegrooves

Postby littlegrooves » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:59 pm

Pocketplayer wrote:Who wouldn't want to hang with this guy? This part
of the biz overlooked...the hang factor!

+1,000

What I've heard about GB from people who've played with him is that he's a "sweetheart". Sweetheart = gigs.
Last edited by littlegrooves on Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Drumming Chat”