Gregg Bissonette

Kurtis

Re: Gregg Bissonette

Postby Kurtis » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:50 am

Greg has a very impressive resume. He's been there done that. Solid chops and groove. The album he did with his brother Matt is really good. He sings on it also. he has many influences and dabs into all of the styles. Versatile guy. No wonder he's an in demand player. I'm sure he hustles work also. He certainly keeps the blushda alive and well.
percusski

Postby percusski » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:44 am

I'll just add that i misinterpreted Mark's story earlier, I don't know Greg on a personal level so it's quite possible he is a great guy. I was simply recounting the circumstances and my thoughts on having met him once.
Avi_drums

Postby Avi_drums » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:48 pm

percusski wrote:I'll just add that i misinterpreted Mark's story earlier, I don't know Greg on a personal level so it's quite possible he is a great guy. I was simply recounting the circumstances and my thoughts on having met him once.

MRhet

Postby MRhet » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:40 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:Tony Williams' sole criterion for whether a person could critique another person was talent - not age, not experience, just talent. One time, when someone told Tony he was a great drummer, Tony replied, "You're not good enough to make that judgment." Then the person said "Well, I enjoyed your performance." To which Tony replied, "That, you can say."

This is one of those stories I really hope is apocryphal.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:52 pm

MRhet wrote:
Paul Marangoni wrote:Tony Williams' sole criterion for whether a person could critique another person was talent - not age, not experience, just talent. One time, when someone told Tony he was a great drummer, Tony replied, "You're not good enough to make that judgment." Then the person said "Well, I enjoyed your performance." To which Tony replied, "That, you can say."

It's from Herbie Hancock's book that just came out. The guy in the story was someone that Tony knew, Herbie's tech, not a drummer.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:01 pm

How´s the book? Worth the read I suspect?
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:13 pm

Yes, it's great. Quite a few great stories/insights about Tony too.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:24 pm

gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:10 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:
MRhet wrote:

It's from Herbie Hancock's book that just came out. The guy in the story was someone that Tony knew, Herbie's tech, not a drummer.

I've also heard that Tony could be pretty vicious to techs...In Tony's Memorial MD issue, Tony's tech told about how Tony had flipped out that he had brought the wrong Zildjian cymbals...It sounded like he didn't care that it was the last time he saw him alive, IMO. :-)
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
langmick

Postby langmick » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:01 am

If I paid a tech and he brought the wrong cymbals I would flip out too.

There is a spot on one of the doctor shirt solos where he looks down like someone should be doi g something then laughing. I always thought that was the laugh of someone who was going to rip so eone apart.

Gregg studied w Tony, I doubt Tony would slough him off, Gregg was a rocker. The guy that David Lee Roth picked once he was out of Van Halen was Gregg. He was all over MTV.

Return to “Drumming Chat”