YOUR Fantasy future Recording of Vinnie Colaiuta

geoffgilldrums

Re: YOUR Fantasy future Recording of Vinnie Colaiuta

Postby geoffgilldrums » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:43 pm

"Vinnie...i have a 3 day project coming up. {{ insert fantasy players here }} are also booked on rhythm in that {{ famous studio / amazing rooms about to fold up }}. the artist ? someone called "HOD"; might be european. yes...i know...but the entire thing has a huge budget and was well funded via {{ insert crowd funding website here }}" :D #pipedream
Atlanta drummer. If it grooves, I dig it !
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:13 pm

^Ya know, the funny thing is are heroes around here wouldn't cost as much as you think...
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:43 pm

Would love to hear Vinnie playing in a trio with Avishai Cohen and Aaron Parks...

On the electric side of things, I can´t even imagine what he would play with the Blues Brothers Band on a live album...
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:53 pm

How much money do you think we would need to raise to make something like this happen? Let's say it was three days of rehearsals (assuming they individually had music already prepared), two days of recording, three days of mixing, two days of mastering. We would have to cover musicians, recording studio, engineer(s) (recording and mastering), catering, airfare, lodging, photographer and videographer, and finally disc manufacturing.

For a quartet recording 50 minutes of finished music, I would say we need about $100,000 before it's worth their time.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:19 am

I'd pay $40 to watch him dance in the Nutcracker Suite. In tights. Magenta. With little yellow stars.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:12 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:How much money do you think we would need to raise to make something like this happen? Let's say it was three days of rehearsals (assuming they individually had music already prepared), two days of recording, three days of mixing, two days of mastering. We would have to cover musicians, recording studio, engineer(s) (recording and mastering), catering, airfare, lodging, photographer and videographer, and finally disc manufacturing.

For a quartet recording 50 minutes of finished music, I would say we need about $100,000 before it's worth their time.

I would agree with that assessment.
jean krupa

Postby jean krupa » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:44 pm

But, then again gentlemen, remember -------this is YOUR fantasy in which money, problems, logistics, hassels, etc. play NO part.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:42 pm

Why just have a fantasy? Make it a reality...
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:20 pm

sjj123 wrote:I'd like to hear modern versions of the Shut Up n Play Yer Guitar series w/ Zappa....never liked the actual drum sound all that much
but the playing stands as some of my all time fav...crazy good drumming. These days I dont hear Vinnie do a lot of the things he was going for on those tracks

Funny, I've been really listening to that these days. I never really let that recording "in" for whatever reason, but recently I found myself able to really absorb it. The drumming on there is pretty amazing. I mean, it's over-the-top over-playing but when Vinnie does that 90% of the time it's genius ideas instead of busy-ness for it's sake. There's some straight-up conversations going on between him and Frank in a lot of those tunes. Reminded me of Secrets a little bit too. Great drumming underneath the flat dated production sound.
jean krupa

Postby jean krupa » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:55 pm

Steve Holmes said, "flat sound" referring to "Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar."

That's interesting Steve.
I find that all the CDs I buy are mastered flat. One exception of Sammy Davis Jr with the Buddy Rich Big Band from 1966.
That is very bright, crisp and has all the high end a drummer wants to hear to clearly hear drums, esp cymbals and snare.

I wanted to chime in when I read you comment about the flatness of the recording.

Every CD I buy, rent or borrow from the library, I remaster and boost the last 3-4 equalization pods up and even the lower 2 for a fuller bass sound.
The result is a clean, very crisp drum sound with a good tight bass that enhances the bassist's sound as well as bass drum and lower toms.

Buying blank -R's or +R's in bulk is VERY inexpensive and once burned are good to keep in the car or anywhere and if damaged, I can just
remaster again...about 3 minutes a disc.

Return to “Drumming Chat”