Gary Novak Three Nighter at the SPUD

Pocketplayer

Gary Novak Three Nighter at the SPUD

Postby Pocketplayer » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:38 pm

http://www.thebakedpotato.com/Calendars ... ber14.html

DEC 26-28

Tonight, Toss w/Lukather...dang...just got home...might run out to see this.
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Re: Gary Novak Three Nighter at the SPUD

Postby Steve Holmes » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:05 am

Thanks for the heads up Joe - might see Novak at one of those.
GoAndPractice

Postby GoAndPractice » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:25 pm

On top of being completely tasteful and a great accompanist, Gary can do a "wall of drums" sound like nobody I've ever heard when he lets loose.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:22 pm

LOL. He's like the Coltrane of drums. LOL
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
littlegrooves

Postby littlegrooves » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:24 am

GoAndPractice wrote:On top of being completely tasteful and a great accompanist, Gary can do a "wall of drums" sound like nobody I've ever heard when he lets loose.

A-men! I love it when people remind me of someone that's fallen off my radar-- jeez, what a monster.

It's against the Law to say it, but his singles approach those of what Dennis used to have. I remember catching him on TV when he was playing with Alanis Morissette and he pulled off a singles fill that made me lose my mind-- I couldn't believe I heard him do that on TV-- it was like seeing boobs in a movie before your mom can cover your eyes-- "you're not supposed to see that!"

I've never been able to pinpoint why Gary never "hit" in the 90s, in terms of getting a huge name like Weckl or Chambers or _________. I've wondered if it was because he followed Weckl with Chick and people couldn't get adjusted to it and stigmatized him because he "wasn't Dave"? Who knows.

What a dynamic badass.
bananajou

Postby bananajou » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:12 am

Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:33 am

Remember that 18 minute version of Ished that surfaced years ago? It still blows my socks off every time.

Gary is a monster.
Greg Moore

Postby Greg Moore » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:40 pm

GoAndPractice wrote:On top of being completely tasteful and a great accompanist, Gary can do a "wall of drums" sound like nobody I've ever heard when he lets loose.

I know I've posted this before on a weekend chatty, but the first 30 seconds is just, oh man. The other thing I dig is Michael's huge, subdued grin shortly after 8:00, because the previous eight were just so over the top. The Baked Potato is also showing Reggie Hamilton on bass for the Sunday show. Damn!

gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:12 pm

Man, I wish Sixteen Men of Tain sounded like that video. Tinny DW's instead...
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
AllenS

Postby AllenS » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:51 pm

littlegrooves wrote:I've never been able to pinpoint why Gary never "hit" in the 90s, in terms of getting a huge name like Weckl or Chambers or _________. I've wondered if it was because he followed Weckl with Chick and people couldn't get adjusted to it and stigmatized him because he "wasn't Dave"? Who knows.

He's a fairly big name among (serious) drummers...but I get your point. At the same time, there are a lot of other drummers who are in Gary's boat: we at HOD know of them and they have had fairly successful careers, but for whatever reason, they haven't gotten quite the level of recognition guys like Colaiuta, Weckl, and Chambers have gotten.

It's already relative though; My dad (for example) is a big fan of music from the 60s-70s/early 80s and has definitely heard of Hal Blaine, Steve Gadd, and Jeff Porcaro, but he didn't know who Vinnie Colaiuta or Dave Weckl were (Then again, they might be a bit "after his time"...:) )

Return to “Drumming Chat”