Sonor vintage

Julián Fernández

Re: Sonor vintage

Postby Julián Fernández » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:29 pm

Was reading about how Gibson had to start weight relieving some models to compensate for how much denser are some woods now that most trees grown at much more speed than 50 years ago... Supplies and sustainability is a big issue now.
GoAndPractice

Postby GoAndPractice » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:25 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:Image
http://xombiewoof.tumblr.com/post/10464 ... ries-drums

The drums are available in two 3‐piece preconfigured shell sets:
20” x 14” bass drum, 12” x 8” tom and a 14” x 12” floor tom
22” x 14” bass drum, 13” x8” tom and a 16” x 14” floor tom

A selection of add-on drums and snare drums will also be available. The Vintage series will be available in three finishes; Vintage Natural, Vintage Onyx, and Vintage Pearl.

Launch date: January 21st, 2015.

offset lugs only on the rack tom?
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:34 pm

Julián Fernández wrote:Was reading about how Gibson had to start weight relieving some models to compensate for how much denser are some woods now that most trees grown at much more speed than 50 years ago... Supplies and sustainability is a big issue now.

The Gibson custom shop also got raided by the FBI a few years ago for exotic woods that were untaxed...
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:23 pm

gretsch-o-rama wrote:The Gibson custom shop also got raided by the FBI a few years ago for exotic woods that were untaxed...

I think it was because the wood was from endangered species of trees which were supposedly protected.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:43 pm

OK...
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:06 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:
Old Pit Guy wrote:When companies tire of repurposing perception I guess they'll go back to making new & improved.

I find it amazing that they have to do so much research to figure out how to make their "vintage" drums. I guess these companies just didn't document any of their processes. I wonder if any of them are ISO certified now.

As serious a drum maker as they are, they must have archived some, if not most of the blueprints. I'd imagine that the bit "in cooperation with artists and collectors, worked tirelessly to bring the Vintage Series drums as close as possible to the look, feel, and sound of its predecessor" talks about consulting drummers and collectors about how Sonor could 'update' the series, asking them what they liked about the series, and how the kit could be a combination of 'then and now'. It's very hard for me to believe that they would have to build it completely from scratch. It's Germans we're talking about ;)

BTW, I reckon this is supposed to be just a collector item and not a separate line. Something like the Newport series, which was also beech.

Return to “Drumming Chat”