My 10th year on HOD

YamahaPlayer

Re: My 10th year on HOD

Postby YamahaPlayer » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:47 pm

Ya'll have been around here for a LONG time. Impressive. Words can't thank Steve for his continued generosity in his site and all that it has spawned.

Don't know when I came across it year wise, but I know it was some time ago in looking for vinnie stuff. Sometime when the "vinnie media" page was still being updated.
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:08 pm

beat hit wrote:Happy Anniversary Tombo...
I think it may be my 11th year or so...

Hi Beat! Quite some time for you too!

Funny I met you once in the mid-80s and then through HOD some 20 years later. We had the same drum/percs teachers in college but at different times and both share an admiration for another hometown boy: Paul Brochu, who made it quite big coming from the middle-of-nowhere. He was the one who opened my ears to jazz when I thought Nicko McBrain was god as a young teen. I think you tried to get Paul on HOD, but the guy soooooooo unbelievably low key.

Beat Hit is also a very good drummer. Maintaining a good playing level with young kids and a demanding day job is quite a challenge.

HOD put me back in contact with long lost Drummers Collective mates. Also with a member who shares the same passion for latin music that I hang with each time I go to Mtl DrumFest. And through HOD I got a NAMM pass from Randy, and a DrumFest backstage pass from Ralph Angellilo and met da legendary "Fuse" at a classic and unique Chick concert with Vinnie/Dave double drumming in NY (Vinnie filling in for Gadd). And many trades...

What's cool on HOD is that you can chat with top pros (like Todd, Gary,...) before and after you hear and meet them at local concerts. It makes you feel part of the game.
Rafael Dolinski

Postby Rafael Dolinski » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:11 am

I found HOD when I was looking for some Vinnie Colaiuta clips years ago and then I started reading the forum. I probably joined in 2005 when I was starting to play with a big band here in Brazil, even Peter Erskine gave me some tips here, which was very cool! I've been learning a lot from here, it is one of my favorite places on the internet, great topics, nice people so I'm always checking HOD. Thanks Steve!
Da Chooch

Postby Da Chooch » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:06 am

Congratulations :)
....ALWAYS let the Wookie win....
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:51 pm

Hey Tombo... How's your Fusion band coming along? Are you guys still having gigs? Oh and thanks for the positive feedbacks... Looking fwd to the next opportunity to meet...

Yeah Clint... BEAT knew his stuff... he had these kinda "in your face" posts as I remember it...

Oh and Fuse now known as "Gotta a match grip?" is a very smart one-of-a-kind HODer... very uniquely funny... Always respectful and positive... Have not seen him lately...

I also remember "DIGITAL..." The other Virgil Donati Ambassador...

Without forgetting "Pocketplayer"... Another HODer with very positive impact on this Forum... Wonder what happened to him now...
Andy Vermiglio

Postby Andy Vermiglio » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:47 pm

Hard to believe we've been on HOD this long. Day gigs have changed, bands came and went...but HOD is still here.

It's been great hanging with you all and thanks Mr. Holmes!

Andy (formerly "XNavyDrummer")
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:25 pm

I've been around since '99 as well. I'm trying to remember my first forum name.

I might be mistaken. I used Dstick5a and DeSeipel on hostboard.

Wish I had a superb memory about the site but all I remember is finding HOD and thinking that I hit the goldmine. Lots and lots has changed since then (for me). I'm really surprised that this forum has maintained the decorum that it has. I'm glad it hasn't devolved.

I'll drag out my VHS copy of Shed some Light some time. (sigh).

It would be cool to revisit some stuff you have posted on the Media page. None of it is stuff that anyone should gloss over. A retrospective, a look back at the nostalgia files. I've often thought of pulling out DW's Back to Basics and writing up a piece on my impressions now vs. then.
Patrick Tiglao

Postby Patrick Tiglao » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:29 am

I found this place around the year 2000...I used to be Ptrack back in those days...I was alot younger back then and I was not as "bad/harsh" as I guess I am now....That whole thing about how everything else changes but HOD has stayed the same applies to me too.I'd be in dire straits but HOD would still be here....I remember the old cats and alot of them really helped me along without directly doing so and some directly so...Unlike now....
There is nothing left to say.
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:10 am

beat hit wrote:Hey Tombo... How's your Fusion band coming along? Are you guys still having gigs? Oh and thanks for the positive feedbacks... Looking fwd to the next opportunity to meet...
We'll be playing on Feb. 19th if you happen to be in town.
Last fall has been quiet since we kinda lost our bassist. He got a new job and was always on the road not available for rehearsals or gigs.
We got a new amazing bass player now. He's a guy I played a lot with in the past who is still a full time musician and 1st call in town.
I called him so he could recommend some of his subs for us. I didn't expect him to say: "Hey, I'm interested!".
He's busy but he's developing a new playing technique that he can't apply in his regular gigs.
He got a bass custom modified for him with a Floyd and all kinds of knobs and switches that he passes through processing racks and effects pedals.
He holds the Floyd while playing only with his thumb doing "bended sweep thumbing". As fast with only one finger as any other player with five.
So he can solo and play themes in an interesting and innovative way and that frees our guitarist. He also composes and arranges so a real plus for us.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:15 am

Yeah, maybe 10 years for me too, I came here because Vinnie of course, so I joined HoD and it was my 1st forum in all genre. I can't think about another forum with that level of friendship and help, I met a lot of HoDers, and the level of some drummers here is just :o !!!
And I'm not only talking about our heavy weight.

I'm very glad to be here because I discovered a lot of great drummers like Hardy Fishoetter, Andy Fisenden, Gergo, Sean Rickman, and so on...

The level of knowledge on every subject is AWESOME too !!!

Well, thanks Steve, thanks to everybody.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...

Return to “Drumming Chat”