My practice log

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: My practice log

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:52 pm

So no job yet. But it means I have no excuse not to practice. Taking a break tomorrow to polish my car, but I will get in two hours in the morning.

I just realized that my warm-up is sort of my own rudiment ritual, so I just keep adding stuff in. I just added this:

+ this RRLRLL mentioned in the comments.

Obviously I do blushdas :D and I'm adding in everything from the Lifetime warm-up.

Great to have a routine like that to start the day to get everything going.

Now that I'm working a bit through All American Drummer I add ideas from different bars in there, too.

I'm trying to knock the warm-up time down to about 1 hour.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:06 am

So here we are in the current drumming accommodations:

It's a bit of a mess as it wasn't eaxctly made to have a drumset in the middle of the floor, but I'll see how what I can do. There is a small kitchen so I can pretty much stay there all day. No internet connection, which might be a good thing. :lol: If I'm staying home for a long time I'll see if I can get some sort of wi-fi extender. It's about 200 m form my parents house.

Here's the view:

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:38 am

Took a look at Bob Armstrong's site. Lots of ideas regarding Stick Control: http://bobarmstrong.co.uk/articles/stickcontrolrevisited
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:52 am

So here we are, moved into the corner. Only thing needed now is something for my ears so I can practice silently on the real thing moving my mindless movie watching limb conditioning to my feet. Can't do way overboard here. Maybe some Shure 535s with normal hearing protection over them.

It's not all bad. This is probably where I'll end up any way. No money, but no expenses either. I'll save everything so I will get me those USA customs and 3 bass drums in not too long. I'll try to stick to the routine for 6 days a week, work out every day and go hiking on Sundays. Saturdays I've added a new thing to my routine, sort of gig simulation playing through all the Test of Time tracks from the Turn it up Lay it Down series.

My little lady here doesn't mind, though. She's getting a lot of ticks. Never been an issue before, but this year something has changed.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:46 am

So where are we with this thing.

It's been about 5 years since I picked up the sticks, 2 lessons with the late David Via back in '99 after and Erskoman clinic doesn't really count. I guess my initiation period is over and I generally feel at home behind a drumkit. I can sit down and make it work like a unit on the basic stuff. Not like Vinnie's 7 Days outro demonstrations on some of those clinic clips, but that feel going through anything is sort the benchmark. Keeping it so organic and deep regardless.

Anyway.

I am in a different place physically too, and my surroundings also probably influence how I feel about practicing these days.

Technique/endurance/speed:
I've come to the conclusion that I prefer to work on technique at home on the pad rather than on the kit. It's a different thing and just being at home with a pad and metronome feels more natural for this and obviously makes less noise. My feet need some work, so I'm looking for a better kick pad solution than my RealFeel. I feel that I don't need a big conditioning routine every day and I'm starting to lean towards a bit of a workout idea of alternating hands and feet and tak one day off. It's not because I view drumming as a workout. It's just quality over quantity and thinking that 3 times a week is enough.

I offcourse work on rudiments and etudes, which I do for fun anytime anyway, but the basic idea is this routine from Matt Patella:

As well as this

Simple and sweet. Gets the job done.

I sort of want this to be a routine that's an addition and when I sit down at the kit I want to make music.

General vocabulary is still on the kit and there's still the samba workout.

When it comes to ostinato practice I've taken away a lot. Just splitting ostinatos through the week and basically taking the reading pages of the first part of New Breed. Trying to shorten the amount of time spent on this as well.

This means normal double bass work is mostly off the table as I do want that in my vocabulary, but I'm not a metal player, I just need some facility and feet that work. This routine has worked so well for my hands it just makes sense to do the same with the feet.

Jazz independence: I do what has been suggested so far and work on new things, but part of that is to not, at least now, spend too much time on stuff I already can do.

The only Stick Control stuff I do apart from the jazz independence stuff and separate technique thing is the 2 in the hands 2 in the feet thing. I think that's a good exercise. There are a couple more similar ways. Sort of Dahlgren and Fine "light."

This cuts things down considerably, which means a little less time practicing, but it also just means more time starting to get more musical. Learning songs, transcribing a little bit, and really integrating vocabulary. Basically real practicing, the way it should be done. I can also make stuff like e.g. general odd time playing more of a priority.

The only rhyhm scale thing I'm doing currently is unisons on the kit.

There have been some setbacks. Life in general has been more or less a big setback lol, but at least there are people around here that can play and like the stuff I'm into. This means I can put my audition list together and actually have some people to play the stuff with sometimes. There's great jazz piano player here who, that nostly knows me as a guitar players, who suggested we get together and play a bit. He's helping the bin band out now as well as a more trad. jazz group, but he does a lot of trio and quartet stuff, very Bill Evans like approach, and likes some funky stuff, too. Hope we can get together soon.

Definetly moving into a more overall jazz based approach.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:41 am

Things are changing a bit.
We're putting an old band back together. It's basically old friends all of which also play in the local big band. It's had many incarnations with me as the guitar player, and about 20 years ago I was sort of the leader and arranger. It's almost always been a sort of on and off thing constantly playing new material, so we're gonna have a meetinthis Sunday and put together a more stable list of songs. This way it's easier to just say yes to gigs on short notice and we'll have a simple book including notes for subs.

The routine is getting shorter, but it's more intense with more focus on speed and endurance. and then rest.

Hand workout 60 mins
Typical Stick Control session

TO THE KIT

Foot(double bass) warm up: 6 mins
Heel down 16th notes LF, RF 1 min each then alternating 32nds, repeat heel up.

Foot ostinato (Samba and Baiao every other day About 40 mins
w/Stick Control, compound stickings, licks, ritual, and reading pages.

General ostinato and reading practice.
I base everything off the left foot and read 2 pages from New Breed.
quarters
off-beat quarters
8th notes
off-beat 8th notes
16th notes
off-beat 16th notes
8th notes splashin on the beat
8th notes splashing off the beat

Then I choose a few more with left hand reading and sticks on the hats. Sometimes I play shuffle rhythms, sometimes I use a shaker.......

Working on songs.
One of the reasons for condencing things is to make this the main thing.

Jazz: 30 min
Independence and general swing playing

Doble bass workout 35 mins
1 page of Stick Control + 10 mins of rhythm scale

THIS ENDS MY TIME AT THE KIT

Since I'm starting to push tempo instead of necessarily adding new vocabulary my hands and feet are pretty beat after this.

Then back home

Throughout the day work on one project at a time.

Currently this is, inspired a bit by Matus, to get through the whole Wilcoxon AAD book. Should have done it ages ago, but now it's the main attraction until it gets put into the maintenance bag. I start at 50 bpm and try to go to 100 bpm.

This is Monday-Friday.

Saturdays I'll just stretch a bit do the Baiao routine, then just work on songs or a while. Maybe work he left side a bit.

Sunday is supposed to be a rest day, at least from this type of practice, but I'll play through the Wilcoxon etudes a couple of times.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:15 am

So here we are.

Lot of time and energy focused on getting back in shape. Days will probably be consistently empty for quite a long while. No work for 18 more months and then back to school is definetly what it looks like, so better be focused and look at it as a gift and a way to get back in the game instead of getting hung up on the past. It is there though and did get a call from a sheriff today to remind me, but I try not to think about it.

Shape is offcourse not what it was. I've been tying different things for a couple of weeks and it seems I'm more comfortable with my old routine, pre drums back in 2005-06. This means basically getting up to a cold hot shower, stretch a bit, do the routine maitenance part of my practice, then do a 2-3 hour workout consisting of running around in the woods, ending with a functional body weight strengt routine. Then after lunch I'm free to focus fully on work and or music.

Diet is really good now. All the best possible stuff. All organic, wild, superfood things and eerything that can be fermented and benefits from that is. Basically 3 meals, protein shakes between meals and skipping supper, at least for the moment, for some intermittent fasting health benefits. Feels really good so far.

This means the drumming day looks lik this.

I'm splitting in three next week.

Warm-up:
Samba
Baiao
and the new thing in 5/4

Then I'll do some general whole kit routines. Different throughout the week. I'm also devising 3 different double bass routines.

Then after workout and lunch it's sort of open. There will be some hand conditioning and at least 30 mins of focused Wilcoxon AAD.

The rest of the pratice is based on focusing on one thing at a time. A big part of this will obviously be audtion tunes and whatever general concept surrounds those.

Things are strange. Life is back. This means I'll probably get into what local music scene there is, hang out more, find a girl and so on.., but hopefully this school plan has a place in there still.

I've decided to wake up a little later as that helps socially and I have no need to get up early really.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:44 pm

Think this wil be the last update here.

It's highly lightly that I'll be pretty much unemplyed except a few students in the evenings and the occasional weekend gig for the next year and until I hopefully will get back to school. No reason to not keep cracking. I've been refining things over Christmas and it seems I have my general recipe. It's a very intense 5 day thing and then taking it easier on the weekends. Works for me and works with having a life.

I've taken my ostinato practice back to the full Chaffee + reading and improv thing. After starting working out it's tough, but seems to be fine.

Mornings I get up at 7 and do a stretch and breathing routine + a push-up workout before breakfast and go to the kit around 8.

Before lunch I do a mid-section workout + grip training on mon wed fri

After the double bass workout I go for a long 60-90min walk, add hill sprints on mon, wen and fri and as many hindu squats I can.

All done before dinner at 7 p.m.

If I join the gym I'll just go do what I can't at home 3 times mnon, wen, fri and spend an hour in the sauna. On Saturday I'll just sit in the sauna between dinner and heading out.

Planned audition tunes at this point:
Frog Legs - Mark Egan
Mud Sauce - Weckl (inspired by the 2nd line thread)
Some rhythm changes tune
Some jazz ballad with brushes

Here's the plan. Sort of unintentionally has become a new years resolution:

Mon:
Warm-up: Samba feet + 1 Lang/Patella Stick control kit interpretation 1hr
Wilcoxon in snare/kit 30 mins
4 Ostinatos 2 hrs

LUNCH BREAK

Jazz routine 2-3 hrs
DB:Stick Control as 16ths & 2+2 group , cross, improvisation 30 mins

Tuesday:
Warm-up: Baiao feet + 1 Lang/Patella Stick control kit interpretation 1 hr
Wilcoxon on snare/kit 30 mins
4 Ostinatos 2 hrs

LUNCH BREAK

Jazz routine 2-3 hrs
DB: Singles H=16ths L=32, & 2+2 group , cross, improvisation 30 mins

Onsdag:
Warm-up : 5/4 feet + 1 Lang/Patella Stick control kit interpretation
4 Ostinatos 2 hrs

LUNCH BREAK

Jazz routine 2-3 hrs
DB: Single doubles through 16th note accents sheet & 2+2 group , cross, improvisation 30 mins

Thurs:
Warm-up: 7/4 feet + 1 Lang/Patella Stick control kit interpretation 1 hr
4 Ostinatos 2 hrs

LUNCH BREAK

Jazz routine 2-3 hrs
DB: 1-8 pr foot & 2+2 group , cross, improvisation 30 mins

Fri
Warm-up: 9/4 feet + 1 Lang/Patella Stick control kit interpretation 1 hr
Wilcoxon on snare/kit
4 Ostinatos 2 hrs

LUNCH BREAK

Jazz routine 2-3 hrs
DB: Rhythm scale 4-8 & 2+2 group , cross, improvisation 30 mins

Sat(short day):
All out 12 limb pair conditioning 2 hrs
Jazz playing song review

Sun(rest day):
If nothing else to do: slow relaxed Wilcoxon review on pad & brushes

It's very concept based, but this is how I've always aproached music in general and if everything is covered the right way it just works.

Breakfast:
Quinoa torytillas with goat cheese, butter and kim chi
Smoothie w/eggs

Lunch:
Millet or quinoa salad with meat, goat cheese, fermented veggies and super nutritious dressing.

Dinner:
Modified Sichuan style noodle soup and lot of fermented veggies + some steamed fish

Between meals: A tea based super food smoothie with protein powerder.

Bedtime: A cup of chamomille tea. :D

I supplement with anything that can help and wear my zapper most of the time.

Now, that's details for ya. :lol:

Now, this might sound fabulous and it would be if I was 19. I pretty much envy anyone who's done with their education, have a steady job or enough gigs to live on, stable income and a family. I guess at this point I can call the last few years a very real PTS thing.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:03 am

We are not too active these days, so I thought I'd share a bit in this thread that sort of went through my whole teaching journey as well.

I guess we can say that from the end of September/start of October 2016 I don't really feel like an abuse victim anymore. I am gonna go after the people who have wronged me quite hard and I will share my story with quite a wide selection of people, institutions and organisations inside the general community of teachers and performers nation wide. It's ata point where I'm sort of past things emotionally, but I'm lost a lot of time, tons of money, my personal life in that time period and might have lost my entire future and will to life. One of the situations I at this point easily equate to abuse on the level of rape. I've given all parties involved ample time and opportunity to take responibility or just respond at all. I' ve been at some job interviews and hence things have been postponed a bit, but sometime next week I'll be dropping the big bomb. The subject matter is such that it's not all about me, though. It's my life story and how it relates to many attitudes that really fully equate any sort of other story about social prejudice. It's quite insane, really.

I've been only to a couple job interviews. I didn't get the jobs, but the reasons are pretty much that there was someone local that was very skilled, had the specific education and they knew from before. I am one of only 3 people getting interview for each one of these jobs from a list of at least 30 applicants, though. These interviews are very different. They show real insight and the response is that if they had a bit more resources they would hire me as well. No jobs, but I am getting my name spread out in the are where I want to live in the future which is the same place I want to take my jazz master drum studies. I'm just barely the second choice for several institutions right now. If I just get into school it should open the doors for at least being a substitute and have a decent job when I'm done.

This brings us to my practice which is a bit up and down. I am finally able to get the most out of it, though. I can fully concentrate and focus on music more instead of these long routines that offcourse are largely therapeutic. I'm taking a few concepts at a time and have my audition in the back of my mind. I have now "worked up" a 4 week paid vacation with the unemployment office, so I think I will just contact some hungry young students at the school and use them for my audition instead of the rather unskilled crowd around here.

I'm settling in with a diet that should work pretty well now. Eating lunch as the first meal, having a high protein superfood smoothie mid day and dinner in the evening. I drink a lot of elderberry tea as that's supposed to be "the thing" for my blood type and the little extra energy boost is mainly from my home made dual-extracted gynostemma tincture. Carbs are mainly oats, millet and my home made quinoa tortillas are always handy when needed. I do go nuts on veggies, olive oil and fish oil which is also what was the deal back in the day.

I'm gonna try to stick to a routine of getting up early to work out and sort of be done with that, so I can spend my time drumming afterwards. I am an early riser and though I always like to just go to the practice room first thing I can't do that here.

My practice kit is sort of up and I got my Hansenfutz pedals as well, so it is possible for me to split my routine up in doing the conditioning part quietly at home. I also started using the other kits available around town a bit more. Both because it's good to not get to dependent on my own stuff and it's also just nice to bring a plan with one or two things to practice in a new environment.

I've sort of put the new it a bit to the side and gotten more stuff for practice instead. They were not cheap, but things that will be helpful for me long term in getting my practice down anywhere at any time. Apart from an inexpensive cajon, a more jazz friendly ride and a 12" snare the kit is all that's left no, though.

Regardless, I am feeling a lot better now than I have in a long time. Wish I had a job, some more money, a home, a girlfriend..., but I am gonna push through this now. I am one of the best combined rhythmical music teachers this country has to offer and I'm gonna climb back up, claim my spot and share some truths with this community. The kids deserve better and I most certainly do, too.
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:51 pm

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote: Wish I had a job, some more money

You know, there are jobs out there that have nothing to do with music. Wash dishes at a restaurant, anything. All I know is that I've seen multiple threads of you buying stuff, and then talking about not having a job. Now you are wishing for more money? Yes, it would be nice to have a woman, but the first thing she would tell you is to get off your ass and get a job. My girlfriend(now wife) did that for me. I worked at a retail mall, I even did telemarketing. My advice to you is get ANY job. Then when, or if the time arises, you can possible get a music job. But you need money and music is obviously not doing it for you. You can buy and buy equipment, but that is not gonna do anything except clutter your house. It would be better to buy lawn equipment and start a lawn service, unless you only have snow in Norway. Music will basically always suck if you are unemployed. But get a job doing something, and it will make music time exponentially better.
Find a few buddy's and try to clean office buildings. I have a friend who flunked out of high school, did that, and now he is a millionaire.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Drumming Chat”