Highlights from a recent clinic

Dave Goodman

Highlights from a recent clinic

Postby Dave Goodman » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:17 am

Hi everyone,

I'd like to share some highlights from a small clinic that my friends at Bosphorus sponsored a couple of weeks ago just outside of Sydney.

In the clinic I talked about some cool ways to construct triplet figures for oneself based on syncopated 8th-note rhythms. These ideas are extensions of what I learned from studying with Jim Chapin a few years back. As examples, I look at figures played by the greats of the past and present such as Roach, Williams, Danziger, Colaiuta, Weckl, Novak & Gadd. I also played along with a couple of originals that day.

Here's the URL: https://youtu.be/1ks7QPeJuy4

I hope you can get something out of it.

Best regards,

Dave Goodman
Sydney, Australia

2016 Edit: I've remixed & remastered the audio, trimmed it to tighten it up a bit, and re-uploaded it :)
Last edited by Dave Goodman on Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Michaud

Re: Highlights from a recent clinic

Postby Steve Michaud » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:38 am

Sounds smokin', Dave!
matthughen

Postby matthughen » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:24 am

Dave, great stuff!!!
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:51 am

Bravo Dave. Really well done. Drums sound great too.
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:23 am

Hey Dave,

Thanks for posting -- good stuff. Any chance of your sharing more of that clinic?
kinkymook

Postby kinkymook » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:52 pm

Wow! I learned more from that than a lot of other vids I've seen! Thanks so much for sharing your talent. PLEASE post more!
D.
Dave Goodman

Postby Dave Goodman » Tue May 05, 2015 8:34 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for your warm reception all around - I appreciate it, and I really do hope you're able to get something out of it.

kinkymook wrote:Wow! I learned more from that than a lot of other vids I've seen! Thanks so much for sharing your talent. PLEASE post more!

Lucas Ives wrote:Hey Dave,

Thanks for posting -- good stuff. Any chance of your sharing more of that clinic?

Lucas & kinkymook, thanks for the requests, I would've loved to have posted more, however, my audio system failed during the first third or so of this clinic, and so pretty much all of what was caught on camera outside of what's here is more or less useless. I have plans for more events later in the year that will cover some additional topics, so I'll let post new material from those here once they eventuate if you like.

For now, my 2011 doctoral thesis in which I studied Tony Williams as a model for cultivating originality in jazz drumming is now available for free directly from the PhD page on my website - http://davegoodman.com.au/phd - in case you don't already have a copy. Have a look around that page, and you can download it directly from The University of Sydney's eScholarships portal by clicking on the title page image. The work is an elaborately wordy precursor that led to a few of the basic ideas in the clinic I posted here. It's a 505-page PDF including about 100 pages of transcription to sink your teeth and mind into. I hope it's useful to you in some way.

Also, a 12-year-old student of mine here in Sydney, Will Harpur, will be opening the DRUMscene Live - Sydney 2015 show in a couple of weeks. He's sharing the bill with Jojo Mayer, Todd Sucherman, Jason Heerah and Dom Famularo. I interviewed Will about this recently and asked Frank Corniola (Drumscene managing director) and Dom for some contributions too, which they gave. You can read that interview here: http://davegoodman.com.au/home/blog/will-to-open-drumscene-live-sydney-2015. Will's an astonishingly focussed 12-year-old!

Cheers,

DG
Dave Goodman

Postby Dave Goodman » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:21 am

Hi guys,

Here's brand new footage of the full studio version of one of the tracks from the clinic I posted earlier in this thread. The track is called 'Entelechies' and it's a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy watching.

Also, I'm doing another clinic here in Sydney in a couple of weeks - details and tickets are here in case you can make it: http://davegoodman.com.au/event/1187337/130863474/dave-goodman-drum-clinic

percusski

Postby percusski » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:45 pm

Good job on that, really nice playing and great sounding cymbals! The track had a Steve Reich vibe!
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:01 pm

I examine patterns of creative thought in the New York jazz community as
they developed from the relative heteronomy of modernist bebop improvisation to the
postmodernist aesthetic of jazz-rock fusion resulting in the emergence of collective
autonomy in musical interaction and improvisation.

Ahhh, ya gotta love school! Well done Dave. I just hope in clinic you smooth out
the academic "vibe" lol
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com

Return to “Drumming Chat”