Carter Beauford

amoergosum

Carter Beauford

Postby amoergosum » Mon May 11, 2015 10:04 pm

The Dave Matthews Band still sounds fantastic. Awesome performance by Carter Beauford!

20 years after their Late Show debut, DMB returns with "What Would You Say."

bensdrums

Re: Carter Beauford

Postby bensdrums » Tue May 12, 2015 4:39 pm

I owe Carter quite a bit... as a midwest teenager I wasn't exposed to a whole lot of fusion or jazz (not saying DMB is necessarily either or those things). But when I first heard DMB on the radio around 1995 I couldn't believe the drumming. I went full on Carter. Through checking him out, learning about his influences and just general DMB research, I started discovering guys like Billy Conham, Dennis Chambers, Vinne, etc. And then the same fascination with those guys lead me to looking into their influences and what they had to say and it was just a huge family tree that kept getting bigger and bigger.

Long story short was Carter was the beginning of a helluva lot of musical discovery for me. It set me on a path of discovery and a meticulous kind of research that has done nothing but benefit me since. Although I'm not really a big DMB fan these days (after a certain point I think they kind of lost the spark, but that's just my opinion), they were really a huge springboard for me. I'm sure a lot of guys a little older here have similar stories that begin with Neil or Stewart Copeland or Bonham or Elvin or Max or Buddy or whatever. DMB was just my era I guess. There's a B-side live version of Ants Marching where Carter's snare sound still kills me though.

Sidebar: About anything Jeff Coffin does is pretty damn great IMO, in DMB or otherwise.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Wed May 13, 2015 1:30 am

GoAndPractice

Postby GoAndPractice » Wed May 13, 2015 10:26 am

https://youtu.be/jJQDB1JHSiY?t=3m44s

Okay that horn line they play at 3:44 is the same one as this D'Angelo bootleg at 0:49... is that line originally from another song? Or is DMB quoting this obscure D'angelo part?

http://youtu.be/FXBnfKmCEgc?t=49s
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Wed May 13, 2015 10:55 am

I never really got the extended DMB craze, but I enjoyed UTTAD and particularly 'The Best Of What's Around'
and the fill in 'What Would You Say' at 2:27 8-)

Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed May 13, 2015 2:23 pm

I was never a big fan of Carter or DMB. I like them, just not that much.
Of everything I´ve heard, the best DM album is him and Tim Reynols: http://www.amazon.com/Live-Luther-Colle ... B00000DFUB
Solid stuff.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed May 13, 2015 3:33 pm

I remember seeing that first appearance on TV. I was with three other people, and they all thought the band was not happening at all (they hated Dave's voice especially). I, on the other hand, was glued to the TV. I said "No, wait a sec people. This is something special!", and the drummer was definitely a highlight.

About two or three years later, I got tickets to see the band at a big auditorium (hockey arena) and boy, was I in for a shock. Everyone in the audience was at least ten years younger than me, and they were all SCREAMING at the top of their lungs. I could barely hear the band (and I had really good seats too). I even saw people being carried out on stretchers 'cause they were passing out. It was like Beatlemania. Ruined the show for me, and I left after about 30 minutes. Never dared see them again. I've seen some live video and bought two or three of their first records, then I totally lost interest. Cool vibe, but nothing too interesting from a harmonic point of view for me.
langmick

Postby langmick » Thu May 14, 2015 7:06 am

This is my favorite tune from DMB, I remember listening to it quite a bit when it came out. It's got some nice grooving to it and intensity. That album has a killer drum sound.

I lumped them in with Edie Brickell and all that, at the time I was into Slayer, prog and fusion, "happy shiny people" vibes were not in my wheelhouse. :D

Great playing.

sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Thu May 14, 2015 4:32 pm

Crash is pretty cool but thats it for me. What I find interesting is that DM used to open for The Samples - who I love. They just didnt get the big recognition. Jeep MacNichol is so underrated...that dude can play the drums......
When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
drumdawg

Postby drumdawg » Thu May 14, 2015 5:30 pm

I was fortunate enough to tour with DMB back when the crash album came out. I was very inspired by the music and his playing. 22 yrs old and standing behind C.B. every night did not suck...
I dig this tune...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qk7vnUBS5E
BTW, I can't for the life of me post a video with the URL's or Youtube commands, sorry...

Peace, Sammy J

Return to “Drumming Chat”