DRUMEO lessons

Julián Fernández

Re: DRUMEO lessons

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:48 pm

You´re right, sorry about that. Post edited.
kinkymook

Postby kinkymook » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:50 pm

We all know Dom and his personality by now and know what he does for a living. He IS selling Dom, but he’s also selling the joy of drumming. I watched the whole thing and really dug the history he was imparting. I don’t care if he’s ever played with a band. He plays great.
D.
Tom Reschke

Postby Tom Reschke » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:12 pm

Julián Fernández wrote:
Paul Marangoni wrote:It's especially great how he supports the soloists and drives the music forward.

Oh, wait...

Never mind.

Gotta agree. Same with Mike Johnston (dude is a glorified salesman, nothing else). Dom is not the same, but I don´t think we should worship technique gurus that never had a real recording date or pro tour experience. Kinda crazy if you think about it.

Yeah, I'm with you guys. I think Dave Elich says the same thing. And he's right. But that's not to say that people that just understand technique and have never had a big gig don't know what they're talking about. You absolutely have to consider the source, but also understand that Jim Sonefeld from Hootie and the Blowfish sold more records with his drumming than any of us will ever do and I don't necessarily want his advice on technique.
Moderation's all well and good, just don't overdo it.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:22 pm

It is not about big gigs. Show me a clip of Dom playing a deep pocket. Even to a track. Won´t find it. Same with Johnston. Those guys are the perfect example of Those who can't do, teach.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:22 pm

Julián Fernández wrote: Those guys are the perfect example of Those who can't do, teach.

There are exceptions, like Gary Chaffee who has spent the majority of his career developing and teaching a very useful method. Some of these other guys sound like they just left a Tony Robbins seminar though. Very self-aggrandizing and way overzealous.
Tom Reschke

Postby Tom Reschke » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:50 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:
Julián Fernández wrote: Those guys are the perfect example of Those who can't do, teach.

There are exceptions, like Gary Chaffee who has spent the majority of his career developing and teaching a very useful method. Some of these other guys sound like they just left a Tony Robbins seminar though. Very self-aggrandizing and way overzealous.

Agreed. There's more than a couple here in Nashville that play with big name country artists and sell a motivational/get the gig masterclass or lesson. It's a joke. It's all the same shit that is wildly available online but they can still sell it as a one on one with a name guy! Sometimes, a lesson with the right person can help. I 100 percent agree with that. But mostly, these guys are selling a one on one with a name dude and you're hoping they'll recommend you for a gig. They ain't got much to say. And they're taking all the gigs they can.
Moderation's all well and good, just don't overdo it.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:17 pm

https://markschulman.com/the-speaker/

https://kennyaronoff.com/speaking/

It's a crazy world. If these guys have never attended a Tony Robbins seminar, I would be very surprised.
langmick

Postby langmick » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:41 pm

Schulman said on an I'd Hit That that the corporate speaking gigs were really lucrative. He does have things to say, and has hit those big gigs. You could do worse than following the Tony Robbins model with those big dollar speaking gigs. You need chops to do that. I am always impressed by people who can get up there and talk extemporaneously. I'd go listen to either one of those guys talk about what they know.

Both Schulman and Kenny talk a lot, they are comfortable with doing it in front of people. Many drummers aren't, me included. :)

I got some good things out of this Dom video, his goofiness was tempered a bit.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:47 pm

Gary can play! Same with Gary Chester, Pete Magadini, Chapin, etc... Those guys were great players and great teachers. My issue with the Dom Famularos is that they only teach. And you can tell why.

btw, Mark and Kenny are above and beyond Dom or Johnson. Comparison is not even fair.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:27 am

I've only been able to find this video where he's playing with a band:

Return to “Drumming Chat”