Drum notation software idea

geoffdrums

Drum notation software idea

Postby geoffdrums » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:42 am

Hi,

I’m a drummer in Toronto and have been following the House of Drumming forum for several years. I’ve truly enjoyed the discussions and videos shared by members over the years.

For the past few months I’ve been seriously looking into developing music notation software specifically designed for drummers. I have already lined up the necessary developers/resources and before I move further ahead with this project I am trying to gather some feedback from drummers regarding the project, and suggestions for possible features to incorporate.

Below is a link to a very short survey related to the project. If you have some time and are able to provide your input it would be much appreciated. I would sincerely like to thank Steve Holmes for allowing me to post this survey on his site.

Link to survey:

https://surveyplanet.com/54f4c3a6648b04444752303e
Julián Fernández

Re: Drum notation software idea

Postby Julián Fernández » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:50 pm

Done. Good luck!
geoffdrums

Postby geoffdrums » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:59 pm

Hi,

Thanks to those who have participated in the survey so far. I appreciate your time and insight. Certain common features that drummers want in a notation program are showing up in the results, as well as some unique features/ideas.
john lamb

Postby john lamb » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:18 pm

There are no new ideas. Check out this free program - it is what I currently use, and while it isn't perfect, it is pretty awesome.

>>>>> http://aerodrums.com/get-aered/
Check out my books:
Anatomy of Drumming
A Matter Of Time
Strt Playng Drums
geoffdrums

Postby geoffdrums » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:04 pm

Thanks for the tip. I will check out the software and see what it's like. I have found in the past that the freeware and cheaper apps for notation fall somewhat short, so I am curious to see what is possible with this particular software. I'm trying to create notation software that covers everything, and does it in the simplest way possible. For example, notating polyrhythms, beat displacement, odd groupings, modulations, writing mixed stickings etc., plus other features that drummers/drum teachers would benefit from.
moose

Postby moose » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:44 am

I mentioned Aered in my survey response when you first posted it. The real-time preview (showing what you'll get as you hover over the staff) is an absolute killer feature. It has many limitations, but for quickly transcribing fragments it's unbeatable. I had them add the Ctrl+W to whiten the background to capture the fragment into Word (the "parchment" background colour is ok on screen, but sucked in documents).
Jay Alsman

Postby Jay Alsman » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:04 am

I hadn't heard of Aered. Looks to be much more drummer friendly than Finale,Sibelius,Notion,etc...

Many thanks!
Some not so recent playinghttp://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ScottPazera.. track 7
geoffdrums

Postby geoffdrums » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:27 pm

Hi,

I recently had some time to check out Aered. I agree with the previous postings regarding the software. I found it quite easy and quick to use, and really like the real-time preview feature. It would be nice to see a more comprehensive version in the future. Thanks again for the suggestion, and thanks again to those that completed the survey.

Return to “Drumming Chat”